Canister Filter Maintenance Schedule?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrewz00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey All... just a quick question... ive got an Eheim 2217 classic... how often should i be "cleaning" the canister out?

yes.. old tank water... just a rinse... just dont know how offten

Every other week is what I do. I have two, so I alternate cleaning one each week. I've found that waiting longer only causes nitrates to rise big time

Depends on bio-load. If your 'My Tanks' is up to date, yeah 2 weeks, maybe 3. I do 50% PWC weekly, then every 3 weeks I clean the canister, replace the 'final polish' pad, rinse the coarse foam, and every 9 weeks I replace the coarse foam. The I use Purigen and recharge about every 6 months or whenever it turns really dark (I have a planted tank too).

ANY filter should be cleaned at least once a month. A filter just traps debris for you, if you don't take it out of the system it will breakdown and cause nitrate problems, what many call a nitrate factory.

Yep every month seems reasonable. I just got a canister so will have to remember something like first water change of the month is filter cleaning time!

Yep every month seems reasonable. I just got a canister so will have to remember something like first water change of the month is filter cleaning time!
What you should really remember is to monitor your nitrates. If I went a whole month without cleaning my filters on my 150g (which I have done in the past), my nitrates would be super high like 160+ppm (which they have been in the past).

ahh ok good to know....ive been going about 3 weeks-ish right now, doing weekly 40-50% PWC and every 3rd week (off cycle from filter cleaning) i do a partial gravel vac-ing ... i really should be keeping better notes on my water parameters and judge that way.

thanks all.

ps. yes floyd, "my tanks" is updated... :)

With ANY water change schedule and ANY stocking you need to check nitrate to ensure your water quality is high enough. That is the best measurement of water quality.

Back
Top Bottom