Canister filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaaikop

Aquarium Advice Freak
Was just curious to see what you all put in your canister filters?

I have 2 Eheims 2128 on my 150g: ceramic rings topped with the blue
sponge in the lower basket, Ehfisubstrat in the middle basket, Ehfisubstrat
topped with the white sponge in the upper basket. I am not impressed so
far, a lot of stuff goes right through (or around the baskets).
How do you all do it?

I do it the same on my 2026.. just like the manual says. haven't had any issues yet.. i also put some peat granulars on top of the rings with the the ehfisubstrat on top .. the 2026 only has 2 baskets. you might want to check the rubber caps that are on the spouts that connect each section, that makes the seal, and i would expect clogging and stuff getting through if they weren't lined up correctly.

I have a Fluval 304 and I use Bio-Max rings in the top two and Ceramic Pre-Filter Media in the lower tray. All I need from my filter is mostly biological filtration really anyway. It has a built in sponge that the water goes through before anything else though too.

In my Eheims I have it set up pretty much the same way you do, kaaikop, except I don't buy the white pads, I use regular filter floss since it is so much cheaper. With two filters you have a lot of flexibility, and depending on what your needs are you could set one up differently than the other.

Thanks for the input! 8)
I thought maybe I had done this the wrong way...
I guess the fact that I almost constantly play around in the tank, moving plants,
chopping this and rearranging that, does not help for the clarity of the water :mrgreen:

You're doing everything just fine, kaaikop. Maybe try to pack in the floss a little tighter. that will make it more dense so particles wont go through but it will effect the flow rate...

Back
Top Bottom