Canister filter return options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which return?

• Fan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spray bar

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering what the benefits were between the stock spray bars vs the fan shaped returns.

Something like this

LL1315_99.jpg

It completely depends on the tank application and stocking.... Whatcha doin'?

Well, I'm trying out one of those mazzei inline injectors for the return of my canister, and I was thinking it might be better to try one of these things.

I htink he meant what kind of tank (FW, SW, Reef, Planted, etc), inhabitants, etc. Some applications do better with one or the other, so it depends on what your setup consists of.

Thanks for translating my ramblings. lol

That's exactly what I meant. I'm not familiar AT ALL with inline injectors, but now I'm curious and off to google.

Oh sorry ><. I have a 29 gallon planted, which might be upgrading to a 40g breeder soon. I have some cories, danios, and cardinals in there. It's kind of the stereotypical 29g :p

I say go for a spray bar... it aids greatly in surface agitation, and in a small tank like that, a typical 'fan' type return could potentially give you more flow than you're wanting.

Well, when your injecting co2, you're hoping the plants will produce enough co2 for the fish, and want less agitation rather than more.

I guess I did notice that the fans were normally on larger tanks with sump returns etc and/or the tanks at the store.

Well, when your injecting co2...

you failed to mention that in the previous post... but either way, IMO, the spray bar is the way to go... you can move it down under the water line if you're injecting co2, you can even twist it up or down to move the flow or point it towards the glass for almost no flow through the tank... so many more options...

Oh sorry again. I've come to equate mazzei with co2 and forgot that you guys don't live inside my head :oops:

Okay, well i guess I'll stick with my spray bar. Thanks guys.

For awhile I thought mazzei was a big hit. A few months ago when I was restarting my tanks, I found mazzei threads on quite a few forums (namely planted tank and the barr report) and I thought it was universal. It basically uses a venturi to cause a quick compression/expansion of the water, something about torrents, and crushing the co2 bubbles into micro bubbles, which collect on the plant leaves. I believe it is a more efficient way of injecting co2, since rather than floating up and outgassing, the bubbles float around for awhile (they don't float up noticeably from what I've seen on videos).

Back
Top Bottom