Canister filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mlanda

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi to all, I will like to know your opinions regarding the canister filters in SW? I am going to purchase one in the future, for the easy way to maintain it and clean it, but I have read in another posts that they are a good place or nitrates to go high.
My choice for now is the XP2 from Rena, my tank is a 33 gallons with live rock.

I am using a fluval on my 55g now and I have 0 nitrates. :-D

It's just a matter of maintenance, you gotta be on the canister to avoid a nitrate factory.

I also have a skimmer too though so I'm sure that helps with the 0 trates.

Good luck!

I am using a fluval on my 55g now and I have 0 nitrates. :-D

It's just a matter of maintenance, you gotta be on the canister to avoid a nitrate factory.

I also have a skimmer too though so I'm sure that helps with the 0 trates.

Good luck!

Yea exactly when people say 'its a nitrate factory' anything can become a nitrate factory without proper maintenance

That's for sure that I will take care every month, that's why I am looking on moving into canister, the easy cleaning part.
So any one with comments about the Rena?
Thanks in advance to all the comments.

I have Ehiem P3 on my smaller tanks. And a Fluval FX5 on my 150.

I have a Rena XP1 on my 20g that I like a lot. Fairly easy to clean and have had it for a few years now.

I finally have the filter, I have a great deal from a guy in the west end of Montreal ($80 for the xp1 and a new xp3 imagine!!!) so I installed all today, all goes fine and even I add another 2 rocks that I have waiting at my QT.....

Attachments

• image-2969485566.jpg
    image-2969485566.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 105
Why not go with natural filtration? The best filtration for a sw tank is the live rock, a skimmer, and a refugium. No need for a canister.

Any unmaintained filter can become a nitrate factory, but canisters are extra prone to this because even if people start off cleaning it enough, they will get lazy. Cleaning it every single month turns into every five weeks, then every other month, then even worse from there. Then they are on here trying to figure out their algae problem.

I have almost 40 lbs of live rock, the canister is only to catch the debris, I know and also I have my maintenance every month, I have a lot of discipline.
No skimmer for now, no refugium, no algae problem......

I would recommend a skimmer on any sw setup.

Is this a reef or fish only?

Is a fish only, yes I know, but I am doing a test (Hiatt Filtration System) and for now all is fine. I have my skimmer beside, just in case.
Last week I have added another 2 fishes (cardinal bengalli) without any issues.

Back
Top Bottom