Canister Filters - What Do You Prefer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canister Filters - What Do You Prefer?

• Eheim

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rena

• Magnum

• Cascade

• Vortex

• Hydor Prime

• Other

• Total voters
I've only used a Rena Filstar XP3, so I can't compare it to the others. I love the XP3, since it is very easy to use and very quiet.

I have a Eheim 2113 and a Magnum 330. I use the Magnum for water polishing only when needed as I feel it is a pretty useless filter on its own. My Eheim has a cracked canister housing I discovered after a move so I need to do some parts shopping to bring it up to speed. I really prefer the options with the Eheim and bypass is little to none. I have a 55 Gal that I want to set up planted with cichlids or maybe rainbows so I will either need to repair or upgrade! :?

This is getting to be fun! I've seen this question posed twice a week for the past month.

JMO - A canister is a great thing. Features, reliability and cost play a large part in making a decision.

The Fluval utilizes large foam strips as it's first layer of bio/mechanical filtering. Then, and this is where I believe the Fluval has an advantage, come the media baskets. These baskets can take whatever you want in them. Want additional water polishing, chemical, biological filtering? You can get it all in with no fuss.
Do you have to use the manufacturer's media? Only the foam...everything else can be swapped around. A couple of nylon bags and your ready to go.

I have a filstar xp2 and an older hydor. the filstar gets used, the hydor collects dust in a box after being used for a month, and not being very impressed.

I personally think that canisters are a rather large investment for the average hobbiest to have owned one of each brand.. just my opinion.. I have a fluval 403 and a magnum 350 standard.. both are very old.. and if I had to have another canister I would DIY it.. And If I had so much money to burn that I didnt know what to do with it all I would get a complete rainbow lifeguard canister filter system.. :mrgreen:

WooHoo... I would super glue the housing back together if I were you.. Ive done this on HOB filters that got cracked and it worked like a charm.. :mrgreen:

From your description JC, it sounds like the Fluval and Cascade canister setups are very similar. I just figured that all canisters had baskets that could use any media. Then again, I've only used the Cascade myself but have seen others in operation. :D

I have three Eheims and a Rena Filstar XP3. All of them can handle whatever media you want, so I am looking at power, quiet, and ease of maintenance.

My easiest filters to maintain are the Eheim Ecco series, but these are very disappointing in power, and do not compare to my classic series 2215, which is a big pain in the patooty to maintain. The XP3 is a wonderful filter that is very easy to maintain, but is noisier than the Eheims, which you have to put your hand on to make sure they are running.

You are right Jchillin - this is a topic that comes up almost as much as "what are kudos for?" :lol: Filters are a big investment so there is no wonder why people want to find out as much as possible beforehand.

Jchillin said:
This is getting to be fun! I've seen this question posed twice a week for the past month.

JMO - A canister is a great thing. Features, reliability and cost play a large part in making a decision.

The Fluval utilizes large foam strips as it's first layer of bio/mechanical filtering. Then, and this is where I believe the Fluval has an advantage, come the media baskets. These baskets can take whatever you want in them. Want additional water polishing, chemical, biological filtering? You can get it all in with no fuss.
Do you have to use the manufacturer's media? Only the foam...everything else can be swapped around. A couple of nylon bags and your ready to go.

I agree with JChillin about the Fluvals, they have so much flexability with their three large trays and built-in sponge. Plus, they are silent, hassle free, and reasonably priced. $70 for a 304!

Fluvals are great too becuase its simple to find replacement parts and media either online or at your LFS.

i personally like the eheims the best .... very quiet, ease of priming, ease of maintaining .... the fluval we have at work seems to be problematic and nosier ..... the old fluval xx3 series worked alot better and was a great piece of machinery ..... have not tried the rest, but am looking to try a rena on my next tank setup ........ from what i can see, most of the new models have trays/ chambers for the different medias .....

I have used Aquaclear, Eheim, emperor, penguin, magnum filters etc...

Hands down, way out in front, is eheim. I will almost never buy anything else unless i am in a major cash crunch.

SerLunchbox...did you ever try the Fluval XX3 series? I personally find them equal to the eheim in quality and better than the eheim's in maintainance..

Back
Top Bottom