Canister for 29 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was interested in getting a canister filter for my 29 gal freshwater tank. If I went with a fluval, what would be a decent size for my 29 gal? Also for a 40B and 55 gal. Thanks.

The fluval canisters are great and do a great job on my 55 gallon. For a 29 a 106 or 206 would be fine depending on how much filtration you want and on a 55 or 40 get a 406 and call it good. Best canister I've ever owned, just make sure the o-ring is on good and you won't have any problems.

I was interested in getting a canister filter for my 29 gal freshwater tank. If I went with a fluval, what would be a decent size for my 29 gal? Also for a 40B and 55 gal. Thanks.

2213 for the 29 gallon, 2215 for the 40 and 2217 for the 55. I think Eheim canisters are better than Fluval so that's what I'd recommend.

Ehiems are also good but cleaning them is a nightmare, fluvals have different containers for media and a water stop valve allowing you to easily control both flow and easy cleaning. Equal filtration value but fluval has easier cleaning, just a matter of personal preference.

Eheims are much better than fluvals in the long haul, cleaning depends on the model. Even the classic series aren't that bad though IME.

Eheims are much better than fluvals in the long haul, cleaning depends on the model. Even the classic series aren't that bad though IME.

Ehh depends. And your the only eheim person to actually say they appreciate the "classic" series lol anyway I've had my 304 for quite a few years now and I did some simple maintenance on it ($10- impeller shaft/cover) and it runs like new I can't even tell its on unless I open my cabinet and listen closely. I also got mine used. Most people don't acquire used eheims and since fluvals seem to be more widely available they get the most abuse from newer enthusiasts

Eheim classics are the best filters and have the reputation to boot here in the UK. I'm not an eheim fanboy and I'm also in a position where I can comment on both as i do own a Fluv406 and a couple of classics (2213,2217).

Both are actually great filters but for longevity eheims reliability cant be questioned. My friend has a 2213 that's almost 10years old which speaks for itself. Fluvals are easier to access but the fact remains that it only takes 30seconds more to clean so is insignificant, after all how often to we clean filters, once a month, every 2 months?

On a 29 I would definitely skip the 2213 for the 2215 though if this will be used without a power head, the 2213 will definitely sustain the tank biologically but flow wont be adequate. The 206 on the other hand will probably be adequate for both filtration and flow. Also, mechanically the fluval seems better at polishing water.

Filter arguments, in particular eheim vs fluval has raged for year and will continue to do so, I Like both as both are GOOD filters and you cant really go wrong with either.

New tank, New filter, pushed into a corner, which would I buy? Id have to say Eheim

Last edited:
I can't speak to fluval filters as I have never had one but I have owned eheims. They are great filters and their customer service is top notch. I broke the disconnect valve on one by pushing too hard and they sent me a new one free of charge and I was a year or two past the end of the warranty.

Ehh depends. And your the only eheim person to actually say they appreciate the "classic" series lol anyway I've had my 304 for quite a few years now and I did some simple maintenance on it ($10- impeller shaft/cover) and it runs like new I can't even tell its on unless I open my cabinet and listen closely. I also got mine used. Most people don't acquire used eheims and since fluvals seem to be more widely available they get the most abuse from newer enthusiasts

I've heard the 04 series was a good series bsh. I would agree with you statement about used fluvals being more prominent in the used market too in the US where here its more eheims I find used. More the likely due to the fact fluval are a US company and eheim European(German)

Had my 406 a few months now and love it, ill just have to wait and see if it holds out. The fluval vs eheim war is worse than the Xbox vs PS!

I've heard the 04 series was a good series bsh. I would agree with you statement about used fluvals being more prominent in the used market too in the US where here its more eheims I find used. More the likely due to the fact fluval are a US company and eheim European(German)

Had my 406 a few months now and love it, ill just have to wait and see if it holds out. The fluval vs eheim war is worse than the Xbox vs PS!

In aquariums as in video gaming, always go with team green. :D

All of my filters are Fluval, I own
2x1+
2x2+
1x3+
2x205
2xFX5

All between 5-8 years old. One or two o rings have gone, 205s don't age well. Fx5 are the nuts! Never used eheim, better the devil you know.
All apart from the 1+ are both marine and freshwater.

Full compliment of spares available.

(I don't have shares in Hagen, before you ask!)

Oh come on, no its not. Pour media into buckets, clean pads, put media back. It's a five minute process.

Exactly, and I do it about twice a year...maybe. I've replaced the foam pads twice in 3 years, so its also been cheap to operate. I use a 2213 on my 29. Couldn't be happier.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles
Oh come on, no its not. Pour media into buckets, clean pads, put media back. It's a five minute process.
Exactly, and I do it about twice a year...maybe. I've replaced the foam pads twice in 3 years, so its also been cheap to operate. I use a 2213 on my 29. Couldn't be happier.

Eric

Isn't that how they all work?
Bigger=more, smaller=less of the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles

Isn't that how they all work?
Bigger=more, smaller=less of the same!

What some people in this thread were unhappy with is the fact that Eheim classics don't have media compartments. It's just one big cylinder. So when you want to change the blue foam pad near the bottom, you have to remove all the biomedia that sits on top of it. It's very annoying to some people but I say it's no big deal. :D

I know it's not that bad as I have owned both but I'm one of those people who needs everything organized or else I get freaked out. I'm not that bad about it but the giant mishmash of media kind of gets to me.

I know it's not that bad as I have owned both but I'm one of those people who needs everything organized or else I get freaked out. I'm not that bad about it but the giant mishmash of media kind of gets to me.

If the filter has no compartments how can it work properly?
Mechanical filter, filter wool, bio balls, spare (carbon etc), that is how I order my filters.
The water must pass through the media in a specific order to be most effective, surely?

It's annoying the wool being at the bottom of the 205, that's where it needs to be, it's annoying undoing all of the screws on the lid of an FX5 then getting in to the bottom tray! The impeller on them is also a pain, complete drain of filter screwdrivers over a sink! It's only every 12 months but it's a pain.
I want fish, the pros of Fishkeeping far outweigh any issue I have with any of my filters, they all have quirks!
Foam only filters still have fine wool pads but no bio stage, I cut the sponge down and add a Rena star or similar. Not ideal but it works.

I strip the filters fortnightly to monthly except fx5 impeller assembly.

If looking at the tank doesn't dissolve all that filter hate, I'd say get another hobby! When I look at my tanks I'm not thinking about any of that stuff, I am content. Properly happy.

Please, no hate mail! That's just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom