Canister Tubing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

checkvalve

Aquarium Advice Regular
I replaced my Canister Tubing but it keeps collapsing. It doesent stop the flow but it does slow it down alot. How can I fix this issue?

I had the hose kink in a couple of spots. Namely where it came out and over my holding tank, and where it turned to go through a wall to the display tank. For the holding tank, I used two left over "U" shaped supports from a fluval canister to give support and prevent the kink. At the wall, I suspended the tubes with some air tubing to prevent the kink.

I think that if you go to the hardware store, you need to find some slightly rigid tubing that you can cut or is cut, so that the tubing can go inside it. You know that ridged black tubing meant to bundle electrical wires in for auto's? That might work. Basically you need to support the tubing in the bends to prevent kinking. Some sort of flex hose to make the tubing's bend a little more gradual.

I wish I knew the name of the stuff.

TomK2 said:
I think that if you go to the hardware store, you need to find some slightly rigid tubing that you can cut or is cut, so that the tubing can go inside it. You know that ridged black tubing meant to bundle electrical wires in for auto's? That might work. Basically you need to support the tubing in the bends to prevent kinking. Some sort of flex hose to make the tubing's bend a little more gradual.

I wish I knew the name of the stuff.
Convoluted tubing. It is not that rigid, very flexible and it is slit to allow the wires to enter it.

If it is on a straight section that is just kinking due to the way it was stored in the box then you need to run some very hot water through it to really soften up the vinyl. Then squeeze the kinked spot into the original shap and hold it. Now run some cold water through the tubing and this will harden the vinyl and presto, kinking memory deleted.

If you are draping the tubing over the tank rim the only cure would be the proper fitting like this http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=25319&category_id=2839&pcid1=1971

I used a coupler and 2 fittings from the irrigation dept. at home depot. (90's) to get it over the ridge of the tank.Just put a O clamp on each side to ensure the hose doesn't slip off the barb.

Nice outflow Macrosill. Funny you can never find those things when you need them. Thats why I NEVER throw out old filter parts, it is amazing what uses you can find for them later on.

Back
Top Bottom