Canister woth built in UV or HOB UV with pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
So...

Been toying with the idea of getting a UV light for my 75 gallon African cichlid tank.

2 items on my list.

The coralife turbo twist then I'd need the cobalt pump MJ900 per the company, that would be more then enough flow. It's a 18 watt UV filter.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=7999

Or this

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...1442-574797/uv-canister-filter-cf-series.html

I've discussed a lot with Andy and he's been a great help.

Just wants to open this up to all the members and see what they thought.

Pros?

Cons?

Total waste of money?

Brutal honesty is what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
I wouldn't run a tank without a UV

With UV its all about flow rate

You don't need a desperate pump to run one you just put it on the return pipe of your canister filter

Leave the UV turned on 24/7 and change the tube every 6 months job done

I wouldn't run a tank without a UV

With UV its all about flow rate

You don't need a desperate pump to run one you just put it on the return pipe of your canister filter

Leave the UV turned on 24/7 and change the tube every 6 months job done

Cool tanks. I have 2 AC110's so no canister. That's why I was looking at the coralife turbo twist. If not I'd have to purchase that canister which in the long run is cheaper then buying the UV then the pump.

Wasn't sure if 9 watts was good enough for a heavily stocked 75 gallon.

It's not about watts its about how fast you pass the water throw it

I'm not that sure about other sizes of UV as I only use one type the TMC vectron 25w which allows you to pass 1700 lph throw it so anything less than that will be fine

I run 4 x 25w back to back which allows me to pass 7000 lph throw it

They do work great

Make sure you get a tank UV which is a UVS not a pond one which is a UVC as they work in different ways and do different jobs

A UVC stands for ultra violet clarifier which is for green water and blanket weed
A UVS stands for ultra violet steriliser does the above but also helps control parasites

I thought you didn't want really high flow through a UV because the water is not exposed to it for a long enough period of time for it to work. Is this incorrect?

That's what I thought. When I spoke to coralife about the turbo twist UV filter. They recommended 150gph or even 100gph.

That was for the 18 watt unit. That's from coralife themselves.

The tech said I want slower flow to enter the unit.

Not saying the other poster is wrong, just stating what the tech said. Just called.

I was looking at a canister with built in UV also and I just seem to find those off brand ones. There doesn't seem to be much feedback or review on them so Im a little hesitant on getting one.

I was looking at a canister with built in UV also and I just seem to find those off brand ones. There doesn't seem to be much feedback or review on them so Im a little hesitant on getting one.

Same here that's why I was gonna go with coralife. Just not sure about those.

I also watched the "un boxing" on YouTube. Looked kinda weak.

I wouldn't buy a canister filter with built in UV its just more to go wrong

You are right about the slow flow rate but each UV will tell you max flow rate

Like I said its only the TMC vectron I know about and have been using them for 20 years

The 25w lets you pass 1700 lph not gph so I matched the 25w to the eheim 2080 pro 3 which turns over 1700 lph

I would buy a well known UV from your LFS so you can get spare parts and new tubes easy

Back
Top Bottom