cannister filter media question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
I just bought a Rena XP3...it should be at my house today or tomorrow. I ordered the biochem stars, the fine filter pads, and some filter floss for media. The filter pads were out of stock, so I didn't get them. Is it ok to have just the floss and the stars? I feel like this is a stupid question. I have some sponges that go in my Aquaclears...different sizes. I don't know that they'll fit, since I haven't got the filter yet, but I may just see if they will.

I don't have the tank set up yet that the filter will be going on...but I'm gonna run it on my current 55g until I set the new 55g up. That way I'll have some bacteria!

So what do you think about the media?

And do you suggest any other kind of media?

it comes with 20 and 30 density pads. i use those, then i have bio stars, and ceramic rings, and then filter floss.

but i would get some ceramic rings also, they are great for holding bacteria colonies.

You're in good shape the Xp3 comes with course and fine filter pads, at least they use to.
So if you got the stars and filter floss, you are all set.

You can add more but you have enough to get started, If the tank is planted then don't use the carbon, that also comes with the filter.

Running it on your 55 for now is a great idea.

Yeah, I don't want the carbon. I wasn't aware that it came with anything...maybe that's why they aren't sending it. Alright. I'll probably eventually get the ceramic rings, but I'm on a budget and they are $17. That's not a huge amount of money, but I could buy a heater for that much. I'm slowly piecing together everything I need for the new tank. :D

well if u are puttin it on a 55 and are using a canister like the xp3, i would definately suggest u get a hydor ETH 300w, it is an inline heater, very stable, and get a good thermometer. i wouldnt try and use a stick on the wall heater to heat a tank that size.

I have a Visi-therm Stealth 250w heater on my current 55g and it works great. I'll check out the inline heaters though for the new 55g.

I have a regular AC70 HOB filter on my current 55g.

dont forget to get a sponge/prefilter for the intake tube. the xp series filter have huge holes and food/plants can easily shoot up there and sit in the cannister decaying.

you can goto a car store and buy a car wash sponge or find a sponge that isnt pretreated with soap/chemicals. cut it to desired size and fit it onto the intake tube. every other W/C take out sponge and rinse through hot water thoroughly.

If you put a fine sponge over the intake, you will reduce the flow significantly. An AC insert would be better as it is coarser. If you find you need more bio media, head for the dollar store and get some plastic pot scrubbers. These are the ones that are basically a tube of mesh rolled in a ball.They work well, are easy to clean and are dirt cheap. They are about 6 for a buck.

What basket do you put the bio-stars in? What about filter floss? I got my filter today and it came with the fine and coarse foam pads and the micro filter pad.

Sponges in the bottom, the stars in the bottom of the middle basket, and floss in the upper middle basket. Then for the top basket, can do more floss in the bottom, and the fine filter pad on top.

Wow...thanks for the fast response. Ok...the book shows the stars in the middle (biological stuff) but in the media section it sounded like you are supposed to put them in the top. Thanks. I'm still setting the thing up...its taken me an hour. :)

I have another question...but its about the tubing. The place where the tubing goes on to the spray bar piece (or piece before the spray bar) and where it goes onto the piece before the intake, it says to get it on 2 inches...but I can't push it on there 2 inches. My tubing will only go an inch...is that ok? Is it gonna work right? I put a clamp thing on there to hold it on.

Good to know. I know I'm a weakling, but I tried really hard to make it go on more....it wouldn't budge.

The spray bar current is really strong...anything I can do about it? Its blowing my plants over.

Did you install the flow control? If you did, just turn the flow down some. If not, you might want to add it in on the output side right before the spraybar.

Ohh..nope didn't add it. I will do it now though. I didn't notice that picture. Thanks....I will eventually understand this thing.

The flow control is mandatory, in my opinion, lol. I wouldn't set one up without it, lol. Not only does it help with the flow in a planted tank, but with feeding time as well. :)

Oh yes...I was just trying to think of ways I could try and fix that (but didn't come up with any before you told me about the flow control). I just installed it and that is much better. My plants look normal now. I have a AC70 on the tank also. Its the normal filter for that tank and it has a really strong current. I had to put a sponge in front of the outflow because it was blowing my fish around...I sure didn't need another strong filter. Good thing I asked...I wouldn't have noticed that piece.

When I go to clean it (I know it won't be anytime soon), I unplug it, then pull the quick disconnect lever up, then take off the part where the tubes go in...right? The reason I asked is because I was gonna try it just now when I had to connect that part. I unplugged it and lifted the lever up and then went to take the part that holds the tubes and lever off and got water everywhere. What did I do wrong? Obviously something.....

You did nothing wrong. The line was full of water and when you lifted the handle, it closed off the tubes so you don't have to reprime the filter by filling the input side. The other option cold have been to completely remove the whole intake and output with the handle, take to the sink, and then drain it and put it on. But yes, when you disassemble it on the tank, you will get water everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom