Cannister too strong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Da Squid

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,
Sorry for the rushed question but I'm about to make a purchase and need to chase away some second thoughts.

Is it possible to over do it on filtration with a cannister? I'm buying a Cascade canister filter and and torn between teh 1000 or the 1200. Its only a 40 dollar price difference and I'm tempted to just go with the 1200 and want to know if maybe there is an overkill factor I'm not aware of.

It will be for a 55 gallon planted tank. I plan on using turface mvp as the substrate which I know is light in weight. Fish wise I'm thinking small community type species though I havent put too much thought into it yet. Could the stronger filter push around my substrate/suck up my neons and plants?

PS. BigAl's is doing FREE shipping right now on purchases over $60 bucks fyi.

I don't believe it's possible to "over filter", however, it is possible to go overboard. EG: 2 Cascade 1200's on a 55 gl tank would be overkill.
Having said that, in my opinion, one 1200 would be just right. I use 2 Rena XP 3's on my 175 gl.
All brands of filters are notorious for over-rating the applicable tank size of their filters.
If you feel the flow rate is too high, you could put on a spray bar or throttle the flow down with an in-line valve.

Enjoy! They are a good filter. I especially like the valves supplied.

Rick

Back
Top Bottom