Center brace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gail

Aquarium Advice Activist
The center brace on my 47 gallon bow front broke. My tank has been without this brace for about a year, is this something I should fix. I guess I'm kinda tardy asking, but it's been on my mind lately and is this something I need to be worried about in the near future?

Don't want to come home and my fishes are swimming on the living room floor. :banghead:

Thanks, and happy new years to everyone (send spring).

it can certainly cause a blowout. order a new frame online and drain the tank half way and replace/reseal the brace. its pretty easy, i had to do it on a 55 with broken center brace. it costed me 19 dollars for a 55 brace, it might be a little more because of your tank style

Well, since I live in Milwaukee, I emailed Aqueon to ask if I could pick up just that particular piece for my fish tank. Hope they say yes. I don't support or buy Aqueon products since my husband worked there once upon a time and they were mean as all get out to him, however since my tank is (All Glass n/k/a) Aqueon I suppose it would be best to purchase from them. We'll see if they get back to me.

Just fyi - never heard back from Aqueon. I got a piece of plexiglass and glued the center brace together. So all is good once again.

I have two bow fronts both without the center brace and they've been fine for years. I wouldn't worry

there is always a chance that you accidentally do something different and put too much pressure on the glass, causing a blowout. this is just the way i think, having tanks leak is not good ;)

i have a 72g bowfront with a broken centerbrace as well, id never run that tank without some center brace support. it bows easily 3-4 inches out when completely full of water, thats just begging for a disaster. do what i did, cut a piece of 2x4 to fit snuggly between the tank and wall, then get some plastic or metal backstrapping (thin, long pieces used to secure stuff together) screw the backstrapping down to the broken center brace, then pull tight and screw it into the wood block... tada fixed!

Back
Top Bottom