Center braces...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrewz00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i was reading a thread about someone who set up a 55 gal where the center brace was broken.... and it was stressed to get it fixed....

i have a 90 gal... which never came with a center brace.... why is it that some tanks have them while others dont??

The 90 gallon is built of heavier, thicker glass, so is less likely to bow under the pressure of the water. Therefore it doesn't require a center brace. I have an old 55 that also doesn't have a center brace. It depends somewhat on the company that makes the tank as well. If you tank comes with a brace, it should not be removed or allowed to remain broken.

I had a 55 gallon tank that was built in 1990 and the center brace was broke and never had a problem with it. Not to say yours wont give you any problems.

I had a 55 gallon tank that was built in 1990 and the center brace was broke and never had a problem with it. Not to say yours wont give you any problems.

No, mine was actually built without the center brace. On yours, since it was broken, I would take a straight edge of some sort, and place it against the front glass, just to get an idea of how much the glass is or isn't bowing - that may give you some idea as to if you should be concerned or not.

I see you're in Casper, are you into fresh or saltwater?

The center brace is there to keep the sides from bowing under pressure. Glass can take a lot of pressure, but it doesn't like flexing or twisting. Some tanks have center braces, others don't. I just picked up an old 55g with 1/4" or 3/8" glass. It doesn't have a center brace and it doesn't need it. Newer tanks are made of thinner glass for several reasons, but mostly for cost.

I've seen pictures in a "HELP!" type thread of a broken brace 55g filled with water. The tank was 1"-2" wider in the middle than the sides. I couldn't believe it hadn't cracked.

Back
Top Bottom