Changing filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if you decide that you want a carbon filter or two to have on hand if you need to get medication or something out of the water most LFS carry bulk filters for a dollar or two but you have to ask for them

So you really don't need those expensive marineland carbon filled filter replacements then? Would save a ton of money! My filter has slots for 4 filters. Guess they just want you to keep buying.

Love how it says "make sure to replace every 2 weeks" seems crazy.

Like I said, Carbon is useful for removing tannins, chemical contaminants, and medication from the water column...but other than that, its not really worth replacing.

black hills tj said:
Like I said, Carbon is useful for removing tannins, chemical contaminants, and medication from the water column...but other than that, its not really worth replacing.

Ok good. I got a roll of 1/8 inch per sheet. So if i doubled that to make 1/4 would that be good enough?

Convict2161 said:
So you really don't need those expensive marineland carbon filled filter replacements then? Would save a ton of money! My filter has slots for 4 filters. Guess they just want you to keep buying.

Love how it says "make sure to replace every 2 weeks" seems crazy.

Ya. A roll of the stuff cost me 8 bucks. Add carbon thats another couple dollars. At this rate, i could probably make 50 of these for a total of 12 dollars. Cheap huh? This hobby is all about saving the money :)

That is very interesting about carbon absorbing fertilizers!
I have two of those "cut to fit" sheets, one is a mechanical material, the other is actually a cut to fit carbon sheet weave.
I have never seen it before and I doubt it is as effective as carbon granuals but I gave it a try.

I do have plants and am using Sechem Flourish Excel and Fertilizer.
So, if a carbon filter absorbs it, should I remove it?
It has been in my Fluval FX5 canister filter for a few weeks now and if I am reading these comments correctly, carbon loses its effectiveness rather quickly anyway.

Also, if I we're to use Purigen granuals in filter bags inside my canister filter, would they absorb the fertilizer and Flourish Excel too? They are supposed to be similar to carbon, but much longer lasting and renewable to a point - at least according to the manufacturer!

Thanks for any clarification...I am new to planted tanks.

Tony

Togliat said:
That is very interesting about carbon absorbing fertilizers!
I have two of those "cut to fit" sheets, one is a mechanical material, the other is actually a cut to fit carbon sheet weave.
I have never seen it before and I doubt it is as effective as carbon granuals but I gave it a try.

I do have plants and am using Sechem Flourish Excel and Fertilizer.
So, if a carbon filter absorbs it, should I remove it?
It has been in my Fluval FX5 canister filter for a few weeks now and if I am reading these comments correctly, carbon loses its effectiveness rather quickly anyway.

Also, if I we're to use Purigen granuals in filter bags inside my canister filter, would they absorb the fertilizer and Flourish Excel too? They are supposed to be similar to carbon, but much longer lasting and renewable to a point - at least according to the manufacturer!

Thanks for any clarification...I am new to planted tanks.

Tony

I just read some aboit purigen granuals, and my impresseion on it is that it it much better than carbon, and filters much more out. Therefore, i think that they would filter out ferts unfortunatly. Heres what i read http://www.4fishstuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=2656&osCsid=3fb962da866dad34445be1c1cd698f6c

I also have a lo tec planted tank. Any questions, feel free to ask

Convict2161 said:
Well I did my 50% wc and just rinsed them lightly in the bucket of old tank water and then replaced.

Perfect. Saves alot of money, doesnt it? Buy any quilt bedding yet?

Back
Top Bottom