Changing filters....got a questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewFishGuy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone. I am gonna be switching the filter on my 10 gal fw setup. I currently have a HOB that is made for a maximum of 10 gal (it came in a box with the tank.) I am wanting to switch to a bio wheel setup. Any suggestions? I am thinking something that will handle, say, 30 gal even though I only have a 10 gal tank.

What you think?

Another big thing is what should I do BEFORE switching out the filters? I am imagining I will have another cycle since the new filter will not have any biological filtration. Can I run this filter in a bucket for 2-3 weeks with something to help set-up some biological "friends" on the bio wheel? Should I run both filters on the tank for a while to do this? Or should I just sya my fish-friends are in for a couple weeks of hell on their gills (I REALLY don't like this option.)

Throw some ideas at me if you would :?:

Run both filters at the same time for a couple weeks. The bio-wheel is a great idea. If you run them both until you have enough beneficial bacteria, you won't go through a cycle. I recommend a month. But again, I am cautious when it comes to my fish.

I assume your bio wheel filter is the Penguin Mini, if so GREAT choice, and juts like Fishfiantic said run them boht for about 1 month together the nremove the old one.

HTH

Very close FishLover14. I was actually thinking of the Penguin 150....will work for up to 30 gal tank.

This brings up another question. Is there a problem with getting a filter that is TOO big for the tank. I know if I get a filter for a 200 gal tank it is gonna be WAY too much water flow. But what about one for up too 50 gal. Or even the one I am looking at which is for up to 30 gal.

Gourami might not like it as its a labrynith fish and I believe much flow from biowheel will distrub surface too much. With other fish it seems there's no such thing as too much water flow (hillstream loach, for example).

FWIW, when I changed my biological filtration method I just floated old media for two days with no cycle in a similarly sized tank. This was in a planted tank though. I only mean to state that surely the advice you've been given will allow bacteria colony to survive the change.

Back
Top Bottom