Changing to a new filter. HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DIHSRN

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone! This should be a pretty simple question for you guys, so I was wondering if I could get some help. I have a 37gal freshwater tank, that currently has an Eclipse series3 all in one hood and filter system. Tank looks good the fish have been doing great for over 2 yrs now, but the light fixture is crapping out on me and no replacement parts are available since the unit is discontinued. I am wanting to switch to a Fluval 206 or 306 cannister filter with a regular aquarium hood. If I run the fluval in conjunction with the current set up for a few weeks, will it take care of any cycling issues I would have if i just swapped filtration immediately?:fish2:

Run the new filter with the old filter for about a month or so. That should give the new filter time to seed. Or take the media out of current filter and put it in new filter.

Thanks for the reply! I've read that putting the old filter media into the new filter helps jump start things, but it has cartridges and a biowheel. So short of cutting them up I can't see how I could use the established matierial I have. My biggest concern is the safety of my fish, so I guess it will be just like you suggested. I'll end up running them in tandem for several weeks to a month.:thanks:

Cutting up the cartridge and bio wheel and just putting in the fabric/sponge/whatever it's called in the new filter would work just fine as long as you don't plan to use the old filter anymore.

I just had to do that last week, my aquaclear's motor burnt up on me so I had to try and move everything into a marine land penguin, cut up the old media and stuck it into all the nooks and crannies that I could, and haven't had any cycling issues yet.

Back
Top Bottom