Cheapest place for black sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KreativJustin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone,

I am going to be doing a new 75 gallon tank soon, and I'm pricing up my sand substrate. I am going to do 75% white, 25% black. I can find nice white filter sand for $26 (current price). However, when I'm looking for black sand, its a million dollars a pound (give or take a couple of dollars).

So my question, where have you found black sand that is affordable. Affordable to me is $1 a pound or so, everywhere I look is honestly $2 or more. $36 for 15 pounds just seems like a ripoff.

Thanks in advance!

You can use play sand and it isn't as fine as filter sand, which you should handle with care and wear a mask when dealing with it due to the fine dust.

Don't use any type of blasting sand if you have bottom dwelling fishes or fish that dig up the substrate. Blasting sands are course and have sharp edges to helps strip paint off metal objects. It's not good for fish.

Coloured sand is always going to be more expensive because there is less of it around.

If you have black and white sand in the tank, it gradually mixes together unless you have a decent barrier between them. If you plan on mixing the black and white sand, then it's fine.

Back
Top Bottom