Check your center braces!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yesterday I had a center brace failure on my 55g. The tank is relatively old (I bought it used 3 yrs ago) and has had intense lighting (2x96 watts PC) for 4-5 years that I know of. I did a water change and upon filling the tank back up the brace started breaking as I watched. I decided to drain the tank and move the fish to another tank temporarily, today I got a new 55 and everyone is back "home" after a lot of work. I'm sure most folks don't think to actually look at the braces on their tanks....certainly can't hurt to check them closely when you do a water change, particularly with an older tank or a tank with strong lighting. I was lucky that I heard the plastic snapping, had I not the outcome could have been much worse.

can you not just replace or repair that center brace if it did that? seems to me it would be cheeper to go that way unless you just wanted a new tank or a extra tank in the long run.

Thank goodness you heard it and were able to avoid disaster! Glad everything turned out ok for you and your fishes.

They can be repaired or replaced, but I wasn't going to wait and see if the tank held in the meantime. In my case the tank was very scratched so it was worth replacing it.

I guess another good thing to keep in mind is that it is very helpful to have an extra tank around that is at least a reasonable fraction of the size of your biggest tank, in case you need to move everything out on short notice. If I didn't have that 30g, all those fish would have had to go in the 36 corner, which would have made for some serious overcrowding, and I would have had to rip that tank apart to get everyone back out, too.

Back
Top Bottom