Chiller help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishydew

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I am new to the Aquarium world but am getting ready to set up my first fish tank. It is going to be about 100 gallons and I've done a lot of reading about most stuff, but I don't know what to do about a Chiller. :confused:

What is the best kind of Chiller?
What brand is the best?

I would appreciate any recommendations!

Thanks so much!

Tell us more about your plans:

- Is this a freshwater or saltwater tank?
- How warm is the room you're planning on putting the tank

A chiller is a pretty advanced piece of equipment. They're generally used on saltwater tanks with lots of heat generating lights kept in warm areas, like a garage in Los Angeles in the summer. Just trying to keep you from blowing money on stuff you don't need.

I am planning on a reef tank and possibly putting in a t5 hqi fixture. I live in southern california so summers get pretty warm. Not positive what room I will be putting it in quite yet but I know I may need a chiller at the end of the day, so I figured I would start my research now.

Any suggestions on top brands?

Very ambitious for a first tank. Glad to hear you're doing your homework.

Sorry, I've never needed a chiller, so I couldn't recommend one.

Honestly the bigger the tank, the easier it is to maintain, you will have more success going larger first. Do you air condition your house? Even when it gets really hot here, if we have the AC on it's never a problem.

If not, I see a lot of JBJ chillers, but couldn't honestly recommend any particular one since I have never needed one.

Good luck! Feel free to post any and all of your questions.

Thanks guys! I do use the AC - but I only keep it around 79. I'll look into those and do more research - I appreciate it!

79 is a good temp and would allow your tank to be in the 79-82 degrees temp which is good for a reef setup. I use a AquaEuroUSA chiller and I am very happy with it. Keeps my tank at a contant 80 degrees. The chiller controls both the chiller and the heater. My tank used to go as high as 85 degrees. Drop in chillers are the easest to install but much more expensive. Next is the "in-line" and that is what I have.

Back
Top Bottom