chiller killing flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hello,

I just installed the 1/10 hp chiller from pacific coast and my flow from my return pump is cut in 1/2.

Below is the pictures of the crappy plumming job. I know that there is some excess tubing that I'll trim off but is there anything you all see?

I has to reduce the output from my return pump due to the size inputs on the chiller but is not that much.

Help?
chiller1.jpg

chiller.jpg

has to reduce the output from my return pump
That will have a definite effect on the output of the pump. FWIW Mag pumps are designed to be run using plumbing that is 2x the size of the output nozzle on the pump for max. flow. You may have to use bigger plumbing and add some reducers to the system. HTH

do you mean a larger line from the pump and then reduce it down at the intake of the chiller?

do you mean a larger line from the pump and then reduce it down at the intake of the chiller?
Yes. Then bump it back up after the chiller. Only reduce the plumbing diameter where absolutely necessary. Even then the chiller will cause some restriction but your plumbing will not. That should make some difference. HTH

You may want to keep an eye on the heat from the chiller. I have a similar model that puts out quite a bit of heat, so it has to sit outside of the stand. Also, I have the pump in the sump as well as the return line from the chiller so it doesn't have to travel upward. Am I seeing this correctly? Just making sure.

Mike

why are you reducing the return pump? how many g.p.h. is your pump? and whats the g.p.h. on the chiller? on my 1/3hp delta star my pump should be 600-1,200g.p.h. i have 800g.p.h. the output of the chiller in my case is 10g.p.m.min.-20g.p.m. max which is cut alot by the chiller itself. are you saying your return pump is more then the max on the chiller?

Because its a 1 inch output and the input on the chiller is 5/8.
Pump is a mag 9.5 and the chiller is 500 min and 800 max.
Talked to the manufacturer and he says that its normal for it to fill flow.
I'm going to get a mag 7 and plumb to by itself.

Anybody have pictires on a clean way todo this? I suppose I can just run some PVC up the back of the tank and fasten some how but was hoping for suggestions.

the mag 7 sounds good but it has a 1/2in in and out. just get the right adaptors for the chiller. then run a hose from chiller to your input part of sump ,and your return hose next to the output pump in your sump like salttanker said.

manufacturer and dude at LFS says that my sump / wet dry is to small and will cause the chiller to turn on and off often.

This way I get my original flow back with whatever extra I get through the chiller.

thanks for the responses.

make your return go right into the tank opposite the outtake. this is what i do. your chiller will work better like that.

yep.
I agree.
I was hoping for a pic but I'm going to just plum a mag 7 from the sump up to the top and drop it in there using some flex line.

Should be done this weekend so anybody who wants pics can check back next week.

Thanks for the replies. Chiller people thinking about one should do it his way.
Cut my flow in 1/2 from my return.

Also, I'll be moving it from inside the cabinet to the next room. gets warm in there with it running.

Back
Top Bottom