Chiller Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aw_Ref

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm seeking help on a tank temp problem. I've got a 140 gal tank, 30 gal sump, 4x96 power compact lights, with an AmpMaster 3000 external pump. The tank has been up and running since 07/04. My tank temp consistently reads 82.0 - 84.9. First thing in the morning once the lights first come on I am over 81.5, even with room temp 70-74. While expensive, I think it's time to get a chiller. After reading other posts I have tried using a fan, but don't think that I'll be able to get the temp drop I need once the spring and summer temps arrive.

A few questions:
-Any pros/cons for drop-in chiller vs. in-line?

-With my set-up and limited space under the tank I don't think I can install an inline so that it truly is "inline". Just wondering if there is a way to recirculate the water out of the sump and then back in for return to the tank?

All comments and opinions are appreciated.

Thats an awful high temp for just power compact lights. Im not fimular with thw ampmaster 3000 but I wouldnt think ti would be injecting that much heat into the water.

Do you have a glass cover on the tank? If so remove it or at the very least open up more air space to permit gas exchange. The fan should be blowing over the top of the tank or over the top of the sump so it can ripple the water and increase the evapioration rate. This in itself should drop the temp 3 or so degrees.

Fishfreek, thank for the reply. No glass cover, just egg crate and the wood canopy that is open in the back. I'm not running a UV sterilizer or anything else that would add a lot of heat. Looks like I'm just picking up heat transfer from the main pump and the pump running my skimmer.

I'm willing to give the fan another shot, even putting one (or two) in the canopy and one over the sump. Are you talking about the small electronics fans or the ones for MH fixtures, or something else.

Thanks for the advice.

I added 2 4" variable speed Ice Cap fans in my canopy, 1 on each end and it cured my problem. I stay at 80 degrees now.

Make sure you get 110V fans or if you get the little 12V DC fans you also get the assocated powerbrick to run them. I would plug them in line with your canopy lights so they are on when the lights are on.

My actinics come on first and my fans come on with them and stay on an hour after all lights are off to help remove all the heat they can.

Back
Top Bottom