Chipped tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drayven

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all. After several years of wanting an aquarium my GF has decided to bank roll one for me for my birthday. The first acquisition was a 60 gallon breeder tank we got locally from craigslist. After getting it home and filling it with water I noticed it had a chip in one of the corners and I'm trying to determine if this is a fatal wound or if it's still safe to use this tank. Here are some pictures taken from both sides, it's right on a corner about 2/3 of the way up.

side1.jpg
side2.jpg

The second pic scares me. Have you filled it yet? If not, I'd say to try it outside.

It's sitting outside full of water right now, I'm not sure how long I should give it before I feel safe.

Maybe just make it an outdoor tank? :D That way the neighbors can enjoy it too.

hehe, that's not a bad idea. The more I think about it the more I'm not sure I'll ever trust this tank. I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get something new then I can use this tank for a future tank that will be shallower water with some land in it as well for fiddler crabs or something like that so I won't be filling it past halfway and that should cut down on the chances of it bursting open I would think.

Ah but wait! I think I found the solution! :D

img_995704_0_fa904aa8f8ef0fe0048b2b0419c826b2.jpg

(Yes, now I'm done with the useless fixes)

Hmmm, if nothing else you can use it for QT just don't fill it completely with water.

Yeah I found out that the fish shop near me sells 50 gallon acrylic breeders for $96 so I'm gonna just go new. Now I can start planning the dual level tank for that chipped one. Half full of water then I'm thinking of putting a platform above the surface sitting on stilts that go down into the water. Then I just have to build some sort of little ramp and I figure I can have about a 30 gallon tank, although kinda shallow, and have room for land dwellers too :)

Back
Top Bottom