Chlorine V.S. Chloramines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr_X

Aquarium Advice Addict
I feel a bit foolish as I've always thought and told folks that zero T.D.S. means zero T.D.S., but I've recently come to learn that this is not the case. Did you know that chloramines are rapidly being chosen over chlorine to treat tap water, and that this will not show up on your T.D.S. meter? Also, this will not all be removed by a simple carbon block. The B.R.S. video here:
states that 60% of the chloramines slip by the carbon block and use it up way early. Those with chloramines in your water need a chloramine filter, which is a bit more pricey.
What comes to mind is folks that are experiencing issues with their tanks that they just can't figure out, despite best efforts.
Call your township water and sewer authority.

I am fairly certain a fairly large part of the United States is treating with Chloramines at this point. My local water has used chloramines since before I started testing which was in 2006. RO/DI will remove it but the easiest way is to use a chemical treatment such as Seachem Prime.

Because water conditioners do not remove everything from your tap water. The goal to a successful reef tank is to keep pristine, low nutrient water. Most of us have no idea exactly what's in our tap water and while some areas can get away with it, many municipalities allow their residents to drink water that I wouldn't fill my dogs' bowls with.
Generally speaking, fish can tolerate much higher concentrations of pollutants than inverts can.

Thank you for that explanation. I think the invert vs fish thing is true of FW tanks too.

So then you use RO water rather than tap, negating the need for traditional water conditioner?

RO water conditioner, like kents.
If you mean like Kents RO Right, than yes, I use a product called Kents RO Right :)

I also treat it with a mix of Alkaline Buffer and Acid Buffer for my freshwater fish.

What test kit are you using to measure chloramines? How are you arriving at zero?
Good point, maybe my testing is flawed. Here is what I do.

When I test my unfiltered tap water with an API ammonia kit it will detect the ammonia that is in the chloramines. About .5 ppm's worth typically, sometimes a little less. The water coming through my RODI system shows none.

As stated in the second link I posted, you'll have to do a few more steps and with a more comprehensive test kit than the one you have. I would just call the water company and see what they use. You may just be seeing chlorine.

Back
Top Bottom