Cleaning 14yo abused petco tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boro25

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my local petco was throwing out their tanks for new ones me I took a 5000 dollar setup tank upon further inspection at home I found it needed it’s own plumbing system so it will be my reptile tank once i get it setup

Anyways how do I clean this I would nvr let my tank look like this

Attachments

• 7EBFE142-8F4D-40C9-A1B7-3E2235409930.jpg
    7EBFE142-8F4D-40C9-A1B7-3E2235409930.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 157
  • 6A5E8C04-868F-430C-9E4B-B2EBCD8AC3A9.jpg
    6A5E8C04-868F-430C-9E4B-B2EBCD8AC3A9.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 145
If you can't scrub it off use White vinegar. If that don't work use bleach.

If you have all the pieces I can walk you through how it's plumbed. It's actually very simple. I'm very familiar with this setup. This is the tank they would use for their koi.

As for cleaning, I'd recommend vinegar as well. Soak a towel in it and lay it in the worst spots to let it soak for a while. You can use a razor blade to scrape it off as well.

Sorry for late response on this been busy af

@okapizebra thx for offer but I got it cleaned and got aquarium glue sealed button holdin water canister filter etc etc etc gettin sand later today after work (hopefully enough still got bills) than puttin all together (yes ik I gotta like rinse the sand I’ll use utube)

@king fisher iv noticed you have helped with every post iv made so thanks my plan is to have my setups completed soon now

Was readin back of my sand bag b4 I left it said something like 1 pound per 1 gallon of water for like a 2 inch layer so my tank wood need like 100 pounds (100gal tank) of sand to get 2 inch layer???? Does this sound right? ... I’m only able to get like 60 - 75 pounds today either way

Was readin back of my sand bag b4 I left it said something like 1 pound per 1 gallon of water for like a 2 inch layer so my tank wood need like 100 pounds (100gal tank) of sand to get 2 inch layer???? Does this sound right? ... I’m only able to get like 60 - 75 pounds today either way

The 1:1 ratio is rule of thumb. With what you got you can definitely cover the bottom evenly it just wouldn’t be 2 inches thick. You could always add more later. IMO I have about half inch to an inch of fine gravel . I don’t know if that would effect anything but, I don’t like the look of 2 inches of substrate at the bottom of the tank from the outside looking in. Again imo

4ft by 2ft I got 75 pounds of sand now and I feel like that’s enough

125 lbs for 2 inch layer of sand. 93 lbs for 1.5 inch layer. Around 63 lbs for a 1 inch layer of sand.

Back
Top Bottom