Cleaning a canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CloudStrife

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 3 questions regarding canister filters and the maintenance they need..

How do you guys clean your canister filters? When do you replace the form pads?
And why are canister filters called "nitrate factories"

Sorry for listing them like that but I couldn't think of any other way lol

1. About once a month, I break down the canister and rinse off the filter/bio media in used tank water. I rinse out the canister housing itself in the bathtub with tap water.

2. I don't replace any filter media unless it's literally falling apart.

3. Canisters offer you the opportunity to stuff them full of various types of filter/bio media. I would imagine that's why you've heard them called "nitrate factories".

Cannister filters need to be cleaned regularly if possible but it depends on how much waste your fish produce , usually the flow will reduce when they are dirty but not always, the foam pads can be cleaned with a hose , sink , or tank water if you want to save the bacteria in them. Some have the soft pads that dont hold up well after washing but the foam pads usually hold up along time. Just rinse your bio material in tank water when you clean the foam. They are called nitrate factories because they are very efficient and grow alot of baceria in them but also catch alot of waste that converts to nitrate. Regular cleanings help this out.

I keep a soft toothbrush around to get all the brown gunk off of the outside of the impeller motor housing, and to give the shaft a bit of brushing if needed. I always worry about q-tips leaving behind a bit of cotton that might get caught up in something. Mind you, the toothbrush is dedicated to this (canister cleaning), and this alone. :fish1:

Test tube brushes work really well for cleaning impellers and small areas in filters.

LyndaB said:
Test tube brushes work really well for cleaning impellers and small areas in filters.

I've had trouble finding them. Can you recommend a source reasonably priced?

Cindi

Should I also clean the intake tube that is inside the tank itself? It's really dirty...

Attachments

• image-1755956401.jpg
    image-1755956401.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 69
Regarding the intake and output tubes, I have Rena XP filters the hoses and tubing that comes with them for some reason builds up a lot of brown gunk. I've replaced all of them with hoses and tubes from home depot and no more brown gunk.
Maybe you can give that a try because to me cleaning the hoses and tubes on a regular basis was the only annoying and time cosuming part of the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom