Cleaning a second hand tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommo_uk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have bought a second hand tank and it needs cleaning inside and out. Will it be ok to use chemicals or should i just use water? Obviously chemicals will need a very thorough rinse with fresh water, but can they leave residue behind which will harm fish afterwards? Is there anything I can use which is safe?

Many people use a diluted bleach solution to scrub it and then let the tank run with dechlorinated water in it for a while, then drain it. I'm not to sure of the ratio of water to bleach but I'm sure others will chime in quickly.

Are there calcium deposits? You can try using a razor scraper to get those off - if it is a glass tank. If it is acrylic they sell special razors for acrylics that do not scratch the surface. Hope it helps!

What size tank you pick up? What are your plans for it?

Or you can use white vinegar mixed with water. Has the tank ever had copper medications in it? What are your plans, SW or FW?

Thanks for the advice :)

Its a Juwel Rio 400 litre tank, glass. It does have some calcium deposits. I'll try a razor blade first, then try the diluted vinegar solution.

My plan is to have a shoal of Caribe Piranha in there...

Back
Top Bottom