Cleaning Aquaclears

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aspencer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do you guys and dolls clean your aquaclear filters?

I turn them off, clean motor, rotar and body the reassemble.

I have lost two motors so far in 6 months. They will not start up.

I clean them every two weeks.

Any suggestions?

How do you guys and dolls clean your aquaclear filters?

I turn them off, clean motor, rotar and body the reassemble.

I have lost two motors so far in 6 months. They will not start up.

I clean them every two weeks.

Any suggestions?

I rarely do anything to clean mine other than rinsing my media, and my AC70, AC50, and AC30 all work like a charm, have been for years.

Are you making sure they are filled with water completely before turning them back on? I've always been extremely careful to make sure the motor section is filled and I get as many air bubbles out as I can before turning it on. I usually pour some tank water in, move the water flow adjuster around, side to side, and usually a ton of bubbles come up from the motor.

I usually use a pipe cleaner to clean out the U piece/intake tube. I clean the impeller and shaft off with my fingers and rinse the media basket and the inside of the filter with tank water.

I rarely do anything to clean mine other than rinsing my media, and my AC70, AC50, and AC30 all work like a charm, have been for years.
hmmm. Mine are in a planted tank and I find java moss around the rotor and motor...maybe just take media out and let the filter run.

tthanks

I don't ever do anything to mine other than rinsing off the sponges ever now and then. Also, lifting up the intake tube before draining the tank keeps the filter full so you don't have to fill it back up before starting.

two motors in six months is not normal
it should not be sucking up plants
try putting a sponge on the filter intake if you must
algae or some moss growing in the filter is normal, but should never be enough to impede the propeller
make sure the propeller is seated properly before plugging in the motor

Back
Top Bottom