Cleaning. Converting my 404 from SW to FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefRaff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I took my fluvial 404 off the saltwater tank sometime ago and I have way less algea. Go Figure. :roll:

I need to clean it and all the parts thourghly. along with my storage tank/pump/heater. My plan is to take the filter&parts and place them into the storage tank, fill it, add a cup or two of clorox bleach, and let it circulate for twenty four hrs. That should get everything sterile

My main two questions are:

1: Does this sound like a good idea? :twisted:

2: Whats the best way to ensure all bleach gets removed? :?: :?: :?:

I am sure I will have to drain and refill with freshwater several times, and use dechlorinater a couple times in that process. but since My nose can't detect faint smells I fear I will not be able to smell small amounts of chlorine. I'm sure ( atleast i haven't seen any) they do not make chlorine test kits, so How many times to you think I will need to drain and refill?

Any Other idea's

I have to clean the storage tank/pump/heater too because I get nasty brown algea just 24 hrs after mixing a new batch.

TIA,

That sounds like a good idea. After you rinse with clean water, maybe make up a batch of water with some extra dechlor, and run that through.

Bleach has a pretty fast evaporation rate. If you let the filter set outdoors for about a week (to be on the safe side) after you have drained it and let it air dry, the bleach should all evaporate on its own.

I have switched fluvals back and forth between salt and fresh. I would be terrified to use bleach. Clear vinegar, full strength, will clean out anything that needs cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom