Cleaning fx5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
With everything that's been going on with my tank I was just curious, how often do you clean your fx5.

I cleaned mine tonight. I drained the intake and outtakes into a 5 gallon bucket and brought that an the fx5 outside. I had another bucket ready and drained the fx5 into the other. I swished the sponges in old tank water and rinsed very lightly the pre filter and the biomax. The sponges were caked with gunk!

Last time I cleaned it was probably 5-6 months ago. So I was just curious when you clean yours.

You should clean it about once a month at least. I always cleaned my canisters while I was doing water changes. I'd run the hose outside or to a bathtub and rinse the sponges and biomedia with the old tank water... a lot easier than using a bucket and having brown hands afterwards.

mfdrookie516 said:
You should clean it about once a month at least. I always cleaned my canisters while I was doing water changes. I'd run the hose outside or to a bathtub and rinse the sponges and biomedia with the old tank water... a lot easier than using a bucket and having brown hands afterwards.

Yeah sooo true! The wife eh not so much, "your putting that where?" "not where I shower!"

Ugh!! So yeah buckets it is for me. I lost that fight. Ok so once a month. Do you replace the sponges or media? Example my biomax seems to be shrinking? The pre filter rings ate fine. The last 2 trays have the biomax. I don't use filter floss in the canister. I just drop it in my AC110 it's just easier for me since I change it every few days or every week.

I kept FW for a little over 2 years before tearing them down and switching to reef. I never changed the media in my canisters, all of them had been run at least a year, some closer to two. I never used an FX5, but it's pretty similar to the 05 series media wise, which is what I had. Most of that media should be good for several years.

mfdrookie516 said:
I kept FW for a little over 2 years before tearing them down and switching to reef. I never changed the media in my canisters, all of them had been run at least a year, some closer to two. I never used an FX5, but it's pretty similar to the 05 series media wise, which is what I had. Most of that media should be good for several years.

Cool thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom