Cleaning skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotty09

Aquarium Advice Freak
My skimmer not working well what's the best way to clean it

what kind of skimmer do you have? I clean the neck of the skimmer with a paper towel when it gets gunky. :)

On mine the dirt and grime build up near the neck and the rest stays pretty clean. Not sure how you can get down into a skimmer, maybe with a long wire brush?

Are you skimming too dry perhaps? I've only had gunk build up on the inside of the skimmer (below the neck) if I'm skimming super dry.

Once a skimmer has broken in, you can dial it in to produce the type of skim you want. Wet to dry etc. If it's too wet you accumulate too much skimmate in your collection cup in a short amount of time. If it's too dry, your skimmate will be more concentrated etc. If it's too dry, i wonder if it will have a hard time collecting in your cup and instead sit along the cone/neck.

I always get a very watery skim mate does that help

I get alot of thick stuff around the cone but it barely works now

I just use warm water and a clean sponge. My skimmer is big enough to get my hand in it. It doesn't get very dirty in the bottom anyway. So it's not that bad too clean. Collection cup is the nasty part.

Back
Top Bottom