cleanning AC filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And also if u find that u have a high nitrate and it doesn't seem to be goin down through pwc. Change ur filter maybe something rotting in there.

thanks , do i have to run carbon , can i run sponge and bio things would that be ok .

jim

I am curious, what does bio-media do that a sponge does not do? I use AquaClear HOB filters with two sponges only in them. When it is time to clean them I take the one on the bottom rinse it in tank water and put it on top. Never had a problem, never used bio-media or carbon and my water is great.

halfcent said:
I am curious, what does bio-media do that a sponge does not do? I use AquaClear HOB filters with two sponges only in them. When it is time to clean them I take the one on the bottom rinse it in tank water and put it on top. Never had a problem, never used bio-media or carbon and my water is great.

Bio media is for biological filtration. Where ur sponges are mechanical filtration but it can house beneficial bacteria but not as much as bio-media

For many years, prior to the renaming, AC filters had only the sponge insert for bio media, and they worked very well.

I would think that a sponge has far more surface area for growing the bacteria then bio-media. It is the area throughout the sponge, not just the outside that is the medium for growing the good stuff. At least that was the way I thought it worked. lol

The biomedia is porous there by creating a load of surface area. I rinse my sponges out every 4-6 weeks. I do not think I have bought a sponge for an AC in years.

Back
Top Bottom