Clearseal Hoods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Hewitt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 18"x10" clearseal tank at the moment and I want to get a proper hood for it with lighting.

I'm also thinking of buying a 48"x12" clearseal tank and I'd like to buy a hood for that too.

Trouble is I can source the hoods themselves, no problem. But despite several months research online I can't for the life of me figure out what I need to install lighting into it!

They say "capable of housing a full size florescent light tube", which are sold separately, but none of the sites which sell the hoods seem to sell the lighting kits!

Has anyone got a ClearSeal Crown or Consort hood who can tell me exactly what I need to buy to install lighting in it?

PS. I don't need a particularly fancy setup as I don't have live plants so only need just enough light to see my fish!

A quick browse of their site it looks like once you have the hood just getting a retrofit kit should be able to go in there pretty easily. You might need to drill some holes to mount the endcaps, but it shouldn't be too bad.

You can find retrofit kits at many online retailers. Just google for Aquarium Retrofit Kit and you'll find tons.

p.s. I'm also going to move this to the general hardware forum.

I think I've figured out the parts that I need, and that the hoods are pre-drilled to allow fitment of a single lighting tube.

Problem I have is that while my tank is going to be 4 foot long, it's not going to be very deep or wide, the amount of wattage seems to depend on the length of the lighting tube and I'm concerned that I'll basically just have too much light! My fish are scared of the light even with 10W in total at the moment!

All I've seen of flouresent lamps are claims of "this is brighter than the others", whereas I'd like one which is dimmer?

Back
Top Bottom