closed loop protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RTV

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking of changing from a cannister filter to a closed loop protein skimmer- I've not had any problems with the cannister but, i've been running that and 2 hang on aqua c remora skimmers on my 125g FOWLR tank and I'm a little tired of all the 'junk' hanging on the back of the tank. I was thinking I could eliminate both hang on skimmers and the cannister intake and output and replace with only the input and output of the closed loop skimmer.... so, 2 questions- is this logic correct or would I still need to run the cannister? and does anyone have any experience with this: C-Skim 1200 Protein Skimmer | Venturi Models | Protein Skimmers | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

Any info/guidance is appreciated!

If you already have live rock, that's your biological filtration, thus, no need for a canister. Get a sump (DIY one) and just stick the skimmers on the back of the sump. This is just a cheaper fix to your problem. HTH

If you don't have a sump, that skimmer won't work unless it mounted ABOVE the tank. I'm not sure what your plan is/was, but you can't have the skimmer under the tank. It must be higher than the water level in the tank.

Also, if you have that much budgeted for a skimmer, I would look into a Octopus MSX MiniS cone skimmer.

edit: I moved this to the hardware forum

Last edited:
edit: I moved this to the hardware forum

lol no wonder it canceled my post!

Anywho, if I were in your position, I would build a crude sump to house both of your current protein skimmers. You can use any size tank and it doesn't even need to have baffles.

There are plenty of options for pre-made HoB overflow skimmer boxes, or you can get a kit to drill your tank for the skimmer box(which is fun) or you can even build an effective (but space consuming) PVC overflow.

You don't need a huge expensive water pump either, if you have something that will do 250gph + that will work (however bigger is always better IMO :-D)

I had some other stuff I was gonna say but I lost it when Capt tore this thread assunder!

Back
Top Bottom