Co2 Bio System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aztec

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a new CO2 Bio Sytem Reactor and hooked it up. It's been a few days now I don't see any bubbles coming out. However, when I shook the canister (lightly, not violently), large bubbles came out then after about 5 min a bunch of atomized bubble shot out. I'm assuming that that's the way it works but it only does that when I shake the canister. Also some of the fluid gets into the tank after I shake the can and I didn't think that was supposed to happen assuming the check valve is working. Does anyone have any experience with this product?

the problem i see a lot of time with these systems is they sit on the shelf so long the ingredients expire. if you put too hot of water could have killed it off. need to do warm water. if the room temp is to low that can effect output. when you are ready to replace the mixture you can just use your own yeast and sugar vs buying the packets.

I was wondering if that was the case. I think I'll make my own mixture and see what happens. Thanks.

might not be the case for you but something to keep in mind. the check valve is there to make sure tank water doesnt fill up the container then gets into the tank. the mixture wont hurt the tank.

no. when i did diy co2 i just used a soda bottle. a lot cheaper that way... only took me 2-3 weeks and i bought a pressurized system.

Did the DIY method work or did you just get fed up with it? I really contemplated the DIY method after watching the videos and how easy it is to set up but then I realized how important it is to diffuse it properly. I have a small tank (14gal.) so it should be sufficient. We'll see. Let me know how that worked for you and if you still use it.

The DIY method is very inconsistent. That's it's biggest drawback. A pressurized CO2 system will output the same volume of CO2 as long as the tank isn't empty. A DIY CO2 system ramps up, then tapers off to nothing. Messing with the mixture can help, but it's difficult to get any consistency beyond more than a few weeks time. I have DIY CO2 on my 29g and my 20L It works fairly well on the 20L because it has a tight-fitting top. The effects on the 29g are marginal-decent. I really should add a second bottle to the 29g. I'll probably go pressurized eventually.

I'm nor looking to spend too much. Do You know of a good inexpensive pressurized system that I can look into?

diy worked for me. its just unstable and after a couple changes got tiresome. a co2 system will be about $150 give or take. you get a co2 tank local and a regulator on ebay for $80-90ish.

Back
Top Bottom