CO2 reactor maintenance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought this CO2 reactor from aquarium plants.com and I'm clueless on what kind of maintenance it requires OR how to do any maintenance on it. Any suggestions? It's been running 9 months and I figure I can't just let it sit forever? Maybe?

I know, call them? Well, in the past they kind of acted like everythings common sense and I need some tender loving care when instructed on this. Meaning, is that a pump inside underneath the dishwashing thingy? DO I clean that dishwashing thingy? Do I take apart that pump every now and then like a powerhead I would assume? I really don't know what I'm dealing with here. Thanks for any thoughts.

Attachments

• diag.jpg
    diag.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 162
  • photo-8.JPG
    photo-8.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 128
OK. After some reading I have seen threads on people using bleach, hydrogen peroxide, even excel to clean it. I'm fine with this but I'm curious as to how long people leave it soak because some of these guys say 24 hours and I don't know how that's possible as my system is "in line" and I'm not going to leave my aquarium not running for a day while this thing soaks in a bucket. I'm just going to break out a toothbrush and some bleach and have at it.

As far as I can see this reactor is simply PVC with a rio 90 pump at the end. Has that dishwasher ring thing on it as well. I don't understand the mechanics of any of it, or what does what, I just assume it gets dirty and doesn't dissolve the CO2 as well if left unattended.

It looks to me like basically a cerges reactor with a venturi modification with the rio pump. You could certainly clean it if you want to, or if you are seeing reduced function, but the reactor itself has essentially no moving parts, so aesthetics aside, it probably doesn't really need any maintenance to perform well. The only thing that I can see that might need attention is the sponge in filter if it starts to clog up.

Back
Top Bottom