Co2 system regulator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is there something wrong with the gauge on the left? Shouldn't it be on 10? If I turn the black knob all the way to the right, co2 will come out of the left(4th pic) opposite of the bubble counter I have it running 3bps. Is that enough for a 125g tank?

Attachments

• image-2186923383.jpg
    image-2186923383.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 78
  • image-4080012034.jpg
    image-4080012034.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 59
  • image-653188136.jpg
    image-653188136.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 74
  • image-3435676363.jpg
    image-3435676363.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 75
Not sure on the pH controller, never used one.

But, it sounds like the relief valve is being triggered. Is the solenoid on? You should be able to crank the pressure up (on the guage on the right) to about 10lbs or so, then slowly open the needle valve until you get your desired flow. If it keeps triggering the relief valve, I'd start by taking the needle valve and solenoid off and seeing if you can blow anything out, then put the solenoid on, try, then put the needle valve on. There may be something blocking it.

It sounds like the high side is open too far. I don't think there is anything stuck in it.

The alarm blinking just means the controller is on.

fort384 said:
It sounds like the high side is open too far. I don't think there is anything stuck in it.

The alarm blinking just means the controller is on.

What do you mean by the high side is open too far? What can I do to fix it?

mfdrookie516 said:
Not sure on the pH controller, never used one.

But, it sounds like the relief valve is being triggered. Is the solenoid on? You should be able to crank the pressure up (on the guage on the right) to about 10lbs or so, then slowly open the needle valve until you get your desired flow. If it keeps triggering the relief valve, I'd start by taking the needle valve and solenoid off and seeing if you can blow anything out, then put the solenoid on, try, then put the needle valve on. There may be something blocking it.

I've tried that. Turned off the solenoid and needle valve then turn the black knob to the right and it'll just go out the relief valve.

What fort is saying is you have your pressure turned up too high. Unscrew the knob until it is really loose (it'll come all the way off). Then, slowly screw it in... it only takes maybe a full turn or so to get to 10lbs on mine.

But, my post was under the assumption you're not getting any flow to the bubble counter. I guess, that'll help to know.

Adjust so that the right side gauge reads around thirty. Was the regulator valve closed when you opened the co2 tank?

Last edited:
fort384 said:
Adjust so that the right side gauge reads around thirty. Was the regulator valve closed when you opened the co2 tank? If not it could have damaged it when the regulator seated.

I read on the link that you gave me to turn the black knob to the left until there is no tension before opening the co2 tank. That's what I did. But look at the right valve. Should it be like that? Shouldn't it be on the other side of the stopper when it is turned off?

mfdrookie516 said:
What fort is saying is you have your pressure turned up too high. Unscrew the knob until it is really loose (it'll come all the way off). Then, slowly screw it in... it only takes maybe a full turn or so to get to 10lbs on mine.

But, my post was under the assumption you're not getting any flow to the bubble counter. I guess, that'll help to know.

Do I need to turn the solenoid off before I unscrew the knob? How many bps for a 125g tank?
I have it running 3bps

Ok you did it right. And yes, I didn't notice that. Perhaps the gauge is broken. If you are getting co2 flow the gauge doesn't matter much anyways.

Edit: the release valve activation is normal if you screw the regulator too far. My guess is just that the gauge is malfunctioning.

No, you don't need to unplug the solenoid. Just unscrew it all the way, open your needle valve until it leaks all the co2 out that's built up, then shut the needle valve, slowly turn the regulator until the right gauge shows 10lbs (or whatever, that's just what I use).

fort384 said:
Ok you did it right. And yes, I didn't notice that. Perhaps the gauge is broken. If you are getting co2 flow the gauge doesn't matter much anyways.

Ok. That's good to know. I used olive oil for the bubble counter and it became cloudy when I turned the CO2 on. I guess I'll replace it with canola or veggie.

Edit: the release valve activation is normal if you screw the regulator too far. My guess is just that the gauge is malfunctioning.

I don't think it is... at least not yet. Mine did that this morning when I put it back together after a refill. Dummy me thought the regulator screwed in to shut off. I did what I recommended up above this and it went back to normal

mfdrookie516 said:
No, you don't need to unplug the solenoid. Just unscrew it all the way, open your needle valve until it leaks all the co2 out that's built up, then shut the needle valve, slowly turn the regulator until the right gauge shows 10lbs (or whatever, that's just what I use).

I tried it just now. It's not working. I guess the right gauge is broken...

Do I need to experiment with the bps or is there a recommended bps for my tank size?

mfdrookie516 said:
Oh ok... Well, the good news is that the guages aren't terribly expensive.

Do I need to replace just the one on the right?

Ok good to know. Just don't crank the needle valve all the way open to release the pressure that is built up. I have seen glass diffusers literally explode when you put too much co2 in them.

I don't think you need to replace it. It really doesn't matter what it is reading so long as your bps is consistent. You will probably have to adjust it several times over a few days but once it holds you won't have to touch it for months.

Back
Top Bottom