Coffee Table as stand revisited with pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Recap
Want to use this table to hold a 100g tank.
Is it even a possibility
What needs to be done to make it as solid as possible
20180215_125631.jpg
Face on view
20180215_130208.jpg
Middle cubby/cabinet
20180215_125904.jpg
Bottom view
20180215_125937.jpg
Makers tag

It looks solid. But again , there is a possibility that strength robbing defectcts are not going to show on pictures. 100g us a lot of water to spill.

Invite half a dozen or so friends, get on top of the surface together, put some music on and see if that thing moves at all or squeaks as you guys dance off :)

No. 100gal tank is ~ 1000lbs. One jumping hubby will not do. at least half a dosen. I was actually only half joking about getting people on it to test.

I wouldn't. I'd stack some mason bricks up before I used that table. The bottom "trim" gives you that gap underneath and it will cave in all the way around. And the corners are tacked are a 45 degree but that will split with that much weight. The middle I'd reinforce for sure. Tar off that trim on the bottom then maybe. But I probably wouldn't bother. I'd just make one.

Don't have the time or money & hubby is not one for a board/brick style stand (he built an awesome stand that has held my 70 & 30 for 10 years unfortunately he built it in place and we can't get it up the stairs?). I assumed that bottom trim would be an issue and as ot those 3/4" long tiny braces screwed to it getting it off *may* be a simple job. If not perfectly willing to layer plywood inside it to make a
*solid* bottom. Should I beef up the center *cabinet* at all.or the corners.- those *pillars* are solid wood just a decorative shape.

Yeah, I'd think your corners will be fine. But I'd definitely throw a couple of 2X4's, 4x4's, or thick pipe inside the cabinet. To brace from top to bottom. put 1 in the back and one in the front. Easily hidden too. The bottom trim I'd remove to make it flush with the floor. You should be fine with everything else. The top looks good. And the bottom boards after trim is removed will be good. Is the table and tank same size? All corners of the table even with no overhang with the tank then it should work pretty good.

Should I beef up the center *cabinet* at all.or the corners.- those *pillars* are solid wood just a decorative shape.

Yes, those corner columns probably will support the entire weight. The middle will probably be sufficient to prevent side to side rocking (will not be carying bulk of the load anyways) but all that depends however how are these wood pieces are fastened and in what condition they are. Hence the big "probably".

Good luck!

I like the reinforced center cabinet idea. Get a couple of 12 foot pieces of 1 inch PVC pipe. Cut them to fit standing on end and line the entire center cabinet area. The corner legs look sturdy enough. If you use pellets for a pellet stove or know someone who does they come in 40 lb sacks. Stack 25 of them on the table evenly.

Agrasyuk - Corner columns have 2 screws each on the bottom and I am not sure what at the top
Angel - table is 60L x 22W and tank is 48L x 18W

Place stacked lumber under the 4 legs inside the trim.Those post are over 'open board ' and not supported by the trim. Just filling each corner with 2x4 and whatever is needed will fix that problem.
Then if you want to do the same for the middle it would be helpful but I don't think necessary.
You could just cut 2x4 the length of inside the base [trim] full length and that would support the whole stand end to end..You just need to 'build them up' to fill the space from base to floor so the legs catch bearing..
When you look at the picture of the bottom you can see the screws that attach the legs.. That is where it needs to be supported all the way to the floor..

Agrasyuk - Corner columns have 2 screws each on the bottom and I am not sure what at the top
Angel - table is 60L x 22W and tank is 48L x 18W
Yikes! Length is off 6" on each end. The legs will work only if they're in the right spot. The support is not there to hold the weight once the tank is filled. The legs Must match up to where the corners of the tank will be. Alittle more modification work for ya. Sorry.

So trying to show how I *think* the bottom of the table should look when done but my CAD skills are very basic.
Will be adding 4x4s all the way around inside trim but doubled on ends because tank is 6" shorter than table. Will also be adding 4 4x4s (greNew project 180216155552.jpgen squares)vertically beside existing posts(red circles) for same reason. Does this look reasonable??? Going to be a heavy sucker but if it prevents a flood. ....

New project 180216155552.jpg

(y)Yea that looks good .
You seem to have created constant solid bearing from tank corners to ground along with supporting the whole base ..(y)

Yup! That will work. When you do your "reconstruction build" to avoid heavy lifting. Put the stand where you want it in the house and add everything to it. Measure twice, cut once... Lol! Have fun! And be careful!

Yup think I'm going to try building it right in the room it's staying, in assuming the saw isn't buried in the work trailer & I have to borrow the daughter's

Back
Top Bottom