Compact Flourecents - Safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got my Coralife 130watt Compact Flourecents in. I also decided to change my glass canopy to eggcrate because i brought the adjustable mounting brackets. I decided not to use the brackets because the light sits pretty high over the water, and also doesnt look that good. My question is is it safe to place the light on the eggcrate? what if it gets splashed with water, the lights are protected with a lens, but just wanted to make sure. I took my glass canopy apart, an put the small peice under the light, to prevent any splashing, is this necessary? Anyone have any fires or anything like that due to lighting?

TIA

- Jeff

PC bulbs can get quite hot and while the chance is minimal there is a chance if its sitting directly on the eggcrate it could soften the eggcrate over time. I would try to arrange it so the light was up above the eggcrate a few inches.

i have a peice of glass inbetween the eggcrate and the light, The glass is the length of the tank, so if the eggcrate did fail, the glass would still hold that up. Do you think that this is sufficient? Would laying it direclty on the glass cause it to overheat or anything. It does have two cooling fans that blow straight up.

Back
Top Bottom