Compact Fluorescent Fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rupret

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Coralife compact fluorescent, 72" lighting fixture, with 4 96 watt compact lamps. One of the lamps went out and I just bought a new set of lamps. When I replaced the burned out lamp, there was a small spark upon lamp start up and not the new lamp does not work.

I am hoping I can save the fixture, due to the cost of a new one or a new T-5 fixture. Does anyone have any thoughts? Is the fixture bad? Is there a breaker something in the fixture? I know I may be just stuck, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rupret.

You probably burned out the ballast. I did a quick search and found you can order a replacement part. here is one of the links I found for parts.
AquaticLife Compact Fluorescent Parts

Just buy a new end piece that the light goes into and replace it. It isn't that hard. Do an internet search and you should be able to find instructions and video on how to do it. I do my own repairs on most things by finding how to's on the internet.
Or you could find a repair shop or electrician but that would probably cost a lot.

Thank you very much. i just ordered a pair of ballasts. One set seems to be working well, so I'm hoping I can busy some time with just one pair.

Rupret.

All:

I just replaced the ballasts on the light and still no luck. the one bulb still isn't working. I was delayed in getting it done; accidentally ordered the wrong ballasts.

Any other ideas on the malfunction?

Thanks.

Rupret.

I found this article on fixing compact fluorescent light fixtures.

Troubleshooting for UV Bulb & Sterilizer; Problem Guide for UVC Replacement Lamps

from my internet search I found that the starter often goes bad in this type of light. Do a search on fixing the starter on a compact fluorescent fixture and see if that might be something you could do. They seem to be around $3 or so to replace. If that doesn't work then it could be the switch. however, with only one light not working it is probably the started got shorted out when the ballast blew. hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom