Cool lighting chart... what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Phyllis

was recently evaluating my lighting as i am ready to purchase some more corals.(having finally beaten my hair algae.) I have the same lighting set up as you, on a 72 gal. i see you have quite a bit of coral, looking for your opinion. based on the chart, i am pretty limited. I currently have zoo's, shrooms, and gsp's, all doing great. tia

If you look in my gallery you can see where I have everything (except the brain who was moved to the soft sand substrate subsequent to the picture taking). I have all of my SPS up high (pocillopora, orange cap, green cap/purple rim (the coloration on this is fantastic; green is very green and the purple is colored up nicely too), potato chip (I find it funny that this is actually one of the common names of this because that's just what it looks like), montipora, acropora), and a lot of my LPS there too (candy cane, frogspawn (3)). The bottom dwellers are the brain, sun coral, goni, shrooms, GSPs. Middle tier is some Xenia, Kenya tree, Leather(s).

My Branching Frogspawn appears to be thriving. It has gone from 2 heads to 4 since January. I even have a sliver that broke off during transport that I mounted and it is *flourishing* for as tiny as it is. The polyp extension on it is tremendous!

I don't have much of a track record since this stuff has only been in my tank since January. I can't say how it will be doing in a year, but for now the colors on it are nice. What I've heard is that greens and yellows will be easy to keep. Anything in purples or blues will be much more difficult to keep colored up. That's about right for my tank. I have some purple montipora and I couldn't tell you which one it is supposed to be. :roll: And a purple cap that isn't going to survive.

My tank is 24" deep. If yours is more shallow then you should be ok for a while too. If things start to fade off you might need to be prepared to react.

That being said... I've got 2x250MH at my house that I'm trying to get over my system. It is taking some engineering and inginuity, but I'll get there sooner or later. Then I'll have to figure out how to dismantle my system to get the PCs out of their fixture.

The thing I found interesting about that listing (apparently made by a marketing rep for a lighting sales company so take it for what it is worth) is that I would do just as well with 8x96 as I would with 2x250 + 2x95. I just find that hard to believe.

Back
Top Bottom