Coralife skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyH2O

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have the opportunity to purchase a coralife super skimmer rated 125gal to put in my 72 gal aquarium. Its 50% off cause store is closing and I can probably get it even cheaper cause it's missing the pump. My question is how good of a skimmer is this. I would rather pay more for a good one then buy junk for a good deal.

Based on what people have had to say and reviews any skimmer will do a better job than the coralife. :)

I had that coralife skimmer and will never own one again. I would look into "reef octopus" skimmers, so far I have been completely satisfied with it.

LOVE our reef octopus! Only piece of advice is to buy a bigger rated skimmer than you think you need and then watch it go.

SaltyH2O said:
I have the opportunity to purchase a coralife super skimmer rated 125gal to put in my 72 gal aquarium. Its 50% off cause store is closing and I can probably get it even cheaper cause it's missing the pump. My question is how good of a skimmer is this. I would rather pay more for a good one then buy junk for a good deal.

If it's missing the pump, I wouldn't buy, as a replacement will probably be half the cost of a new unit. I just got the 65 gallon model off Craig's list and am still breaking it in. It's actually replacing an in sump unit that is too difficult to get to in my stand to maintain. I'll post my thoughts on it as I gather the info.

I would like to get a reef octopus but will have to wait. Just spent enough money on sump build and fish. Any suggestions on economy skimmer that still works decent until I upgrade to the octopus?

SaltyH2O said:
I would like to get a reef octopus but will have to wait. Just spent enough money on sump build and fish. Any suggestions on economy skimmer that still works decent until I upgrade to the octopus?

Make an algae scrubber. It's more efficient than a protein skimmer at taking out the bad nutrients and it doesn't cost very much to make.

That's a pretty bold statement. Care to share with us the studies that have been done to back that up? Or is that just YOUR personal opinion?

You can't really do data on it(or at least I can't), but I have been doing research online and algae in the ocean, filters out a lot of crap, so it should do the same in the aquarium. Here's a good page with a lot of information too.

http://www.algaescrubber.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68

Right now, it is my opinion since I cannot prove it with numbers though, but it definitely does remove the same stuff as the protein skimmer, and it is cheaper, just not as compact.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and you are surely entitled to yours. However, you should do some research before making such statements.
but it definitely does remove the same stuff as the protein skimmer
An algae scrubber grows algae. The only things that are removed are what is taken in by the algae and it's only removed from the system when the algae is harvested.
On the other hand, if you want to know all the things a protein skimmer removes, read this article.
Feature Article: Elemental Analysis of Skimmate: What Does a Protein Skimmer Actually Remove from Aquarium Water? — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

Well, you need to physically clean the skim cup on a protein skimmer, or it'll just overflow back into the tank too. And my bad, you're right, the skimmer removes different stuff than the scrubber. The skimmer removes organics from the water, which coral feed on. The scrubber on the other hand, removes Inorganic Nitrate, Inorganic Phosphate, ammonia/ammonium, metals and CO2 from the water.

the idea for foam fractionaters, came from the ocean too. Larry's link to the advanced aquarists article states that skimmers and algae remove 2 completely different things. apparently, if you read the link, it states that the skimmer removes mostly inorganic material.

It removes organic things as well as inorganic matter. It also doesn't remove phosphates or nitrates, only tries to prevent them. IMO it seems more efficient at removing the things we don't want in our tanks. You can even use the algae as food for fish that eat that.

It also doesn't remove phosphates
Obvioulsy you didn't take the time to read the article.
"...skimming does contribute to the removal of inorganic phosphate from aquarium water."
Do you know what nitrate is? To put it simply, it is nitrogen in the water. Nitrogen comes from decomposing organic materials. Read the article!!! :)

Sorry for getting this post so off topic. I'm done with this one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom