Corallife Super Skimmer Questions. Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealFF

Aquarium Advice Freak
I finally got a real skimmer, the Coralife Super Skimmer 125 for my 30G, today!!! Im so excited to see how well it works b/c i've heard so much compliments about it. Already the top bubbles are covered with black gunk after 2 hours in service :). Anyway, i still have questions:

1. At the neck of the returning tube, there's a small hole that drips water out of the tube. Is this normal?

2. The HOB mount bracket sucks :( The bubble diffuser box keeps tilting so i had to put something behind it to give it some supporting. The water from the returning tube is overflowing out of the box and coming out from the top. It causes some bubbles to enter the tank. I tried to push the tube down more into the box but that causes the water the overflow the collection cup. What should i do?

3. The instruction says i should keep the tube, connect the main chamber and the pump, at 8 in. Can i cut more so the pump wouldn't be too deep into the tank?

That's all for now. Thanks guys

you should cut the outlet tube that goes into the bubble diffuser so that is only about half way into the diffuser, this should stop the water from leaking out the little tube.

cut the tube from the pump to the skimmer as much as you can to get the pump as close to the surface as you can, this will help skim more effectively.

as far as placing the diffuser box, it should have came with a few different backings to it and its pretty much trial and error, you may end up having to put something behind it to hold it in place...

I hope this helps for now, if you have any more questions just ask!!

Troy

Don't worry about the water/bubbles overflowing from the bubble diffuser at all. It always does this after a start-up and will stop after it's broken in. It also seems to repeat a mini-break in every time that you do a water change (my only complaint about this skimmer).

I don't think that it matters much how far the pump is submerged. I cut my pump tube just enough so that the pump can rest on the bottom of my sump without there being a constant drag on the tube from the weight of the pump.

I keep my bubble diffuser box completely out of the water with the bottom of the box just a hair above the sump water level. This worked best for me due to the height of the sump and the amount of adjustment on the hanger. Probably not possible as a HOB but this is what I found worked best to cut down the micro bubbles.

As Troy said, make sure that the outlet hose only goes a short way into the diffuser. If it is shoved in there too far it will give you trouble. Once everything is adjusted right you'll be amazed at the amount of trash this thing will pull out of your water. Great skimmer but tricky on the initial set-up.

Edit: About the length of the tube connecting the pump to the skimmer, If I remember right, the instructions say that there is a minimum or a maximum depth that you have to keep the top of the pump below the water surface. as I was placing mine in a sump I just did what fit well and it works fine. As a HOB you can control that exactly and I would set it up just like the instructions say to do it. That will give you one less thing to worry about when trying to get it working right. This thing will give you headaches getting it adjusted, but it's mainly due to not being broken in. Just give it some time to adjust on it's own.

Thank you two so much for the replies. I have no further question to ask :D

Btw. Woke up this morning and there was 1/3 of an inch of dark greenish skimmate. It's a WOW for me comparing to the previous Prizm and Skilter 0.o

Back
Top Bottom