Corals/lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KantGetRite

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need some help with coral choices.

This is my lighting for my 10g right now. I'm currently preparing to move everything to a 20g long I recently acquired. Any suggestions on upgrading the lighting?

EVO 18 LED Reef Bright

For the time being I'm using that light on my 20g. If I can grow coral with it then I'll keep it. If I need to upgrade I will try but I need good lights at good prices. (I have a limited budget)

That light says "soft coral reef" I've never seen that. The 1 watt LEDs would lead me to believe that light won't grow much, probably have anything below the half way point in your tank reaching for light

I think I'm just going to go with the full spectrum led light.

Mr. X I'd like to be able to grow whatever I want. I currently have a green hairy mushroom and tubbs blue zoa in my 10g that I will transfer over. Past that I haven't done much planning in regards to specific corals.

So I'll hook up the day time lights to one timer and the moon lights to another, correct? Then just leave the switches on and dim them appropriately? How do I know how much to dim?

Correct. I would start them at about 20%. you will have to look at your corals and judge how much to turn it up, unless you have a PAR meter, and even with one of those you aren't going to get an accurate reading with LED. If your corals turn brown, they need more light, if they bleach, too much light. Shrivel up, less light, swell to increase surface area-more light.

Back
Top Bottom