Corner Overflow vs. Back Overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeaglesBuddy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been having a hard time locating the tank I want specifically the Aqueon 125 gallon with dual corner overflows. The LFS said they had a back dual overflow but they no longer get the corner ones in. They could special order it but it will take months to arrive. Is there any reason why those back overflows would be better than the corners. I felt that the corners would be more out of the way. They did say they could get me a perfecto tank but I've been reading some really good things about the Aqueons so i had my heart set on that.

I have a 125g Marineland Perfecto CornerFlo tank and I have no issues whatsoever. What did you hear about Perfecto that makes you not want that brand?

The difference between the 2 is the AGA (Aqueon) has the overflows on the back glass and the top cross brace has 2 support braces. The Perfecto has corner overflows and 1 center brace on the top.

I have a 125g Marineland Perfecto CornerFlo tank and I have no issues whatsoever. What did you hear about Perfecto that makes you not want that brand?

The difference between the 2 is the AGA (Aqueon) has the overflows on the back glass and the top cross brace has 2 support braces. The Perfecto has corner overflows and 1 center brace on the top.

Well I heard that the brace gets caked with salt that's impossible to clean but I'm assuming if the aga has 2braces then it's not really a perfecto issue. I also had no clue that perfecto is marineland and I guess my concern was that the store was trying to sell me a non name brand tank. Thanks for educating me.

I had two corner overflows on my old 125 and HATED them. They were small... 6"w x 6"d x 24"h +/-... but when you look at the tank from the side you get a dead spot where you can't see anything behind it. It's ok if you look from the front only but my tank is against one wall on the right and I blocked my view. Great place for fish to hide though!

I now have a single center overflow on my 140 (same size, just a bit taller) and now when I look at the tank it's wide & clear... can see all the way down the middle of the tank. Also made plumbing to my sump easier as all the tubes were centralized rather than coming from both sides of the tank. :D

Just my experience though.

I had two corner overflows on my old 125 and HATED them. They were small... 6"w x 6"d x 24"h +/-... but when you look at the tank from the side you get a dead spot where you can't see anything behind it. It's ok if you look from the front only but my tank is against one wall on the right and I blocked my view. Great place for fish to hide though!

I now have a single center overflow on my 140 (same size, just a bit taller) and now when I look at the tank it's wide & clear... can see all the way down the middle of the tank. Also made plumbing to my sump easier as all the tubes were centralized rather than coming from both sides of the tank. :D

Just my experience though.

I have been thinking about going with the single middle overflow lately. I'm doing a black background so it would blend perfectly. I was concerned about how much space it would take up on the 18" across. Is it hard to workaround?

Not hard to work around at all. The overflow I have is a trapezoid shape... not a square/rectangle. It's 5" deep at the middle and fans out to be flush with the back. Just put rocks up against it and it disappears.

Back
Top Bottom