Could This Be A Fungus Outbreak Of Some Kind At This Point?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osage_Winter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Those strange rust-colored spots that seemed to "infect" the white silk sails of my pirate shipwreck ornament (see thread way below this one) out of nowhere is getting worse -- the spots have appeared everywhere on this one ornament, and although they're not present anywhere else, I am afraid this is some kind of fungus or bacterial infection spreading through the tank, and I don't want the fish to catch it...

What could this be? It is indeed a rust/brown color, and they're in circular patterns on the ship sails -- but seemingly nowhere else in the tank. Is this a fungus or bacterial infection/infestation?

Have you tried to see how easy it comes off. I can almost guarantee you that its diatoms as I predicted in your other thread. It's 100% normal and safe for your fish. A picture would definitely allow us to confirm. Go to this link, Scubs’ Adventures, and scroll all the way to the bottom... does it look kinda like that?

Have you tried to see how easy it comes off. I can almost guarantee you that its diatoms as I predicted in your other thread. It's 100% normal and safe for your fish. A picture would definitely allow us to confirm. Go to this link, Scubs’ Adventures, and scroll all the way to the bottom... does it look kinda like that?

As always, thanks Jon; no, I didn't put my hand in there yet to see how easily it comes off -- I just don't like to disrupt the fish any more than I have to. Where do these diatoms come from? What is it exactly?

I will work on getting some pics -- and in the meantime I will look at the link you provided and get back to you...

Thanks again.

Okay Jon,

To be honest, the spots don't look like what's on that sand or rock at the end of the link -- but then again, they're on a flat, silk material (the pirate ship sails) so perhaps they're just "showing up" differently; mine are like dotted spreading patterns all over the sails...

Sounds like Diatoms. I'm not a chemistry person really, nor am I really a big science guy. What I do know is that diatoms are caused by excess silicates in the water. Silicates come from sand. You're almost bound to have them in an aquarium, and diatoms are a completely normal part of a tank less than a year old. I have had them in all of my tanks, my 150g pretty much keeps them, im guessing because of the fact that I use pfs as substrate which is just plain silicate sand. Maybe one of the chemistry guru's will be in shortly to explain more in depth, or correct me if I'm telling you wrong. I assure you, its nothing to worry about.

But I do not have sand as a substrate...I'm using colored gravel (shades of blue, to be more specific)...

Does this go away on its own? If I am not using sand, could it still be what you say it is?

Yes, it still can happen without using sand. It will go away on its own. Some people have used snails to battle diatoms, but its one of those things that, IMO, shouldn't happen (no fish/invert should be purchased for something like that IMO).

Yes, it still can happen without using sand. It will go away on its own. Some people have used snails to battle diatoms, but its one of those things that, IMO, shouldn't happen (no fish/invert should be purchased for something like that IMO).

Okay, I'll take your word for it; I only questioned it because you said this initially:

Sounds like Diatoms. I'm not a chemistry person really, nor am I really a big science guy. What I do know is that diatoms are caused by excess silicates in the water. Silicates come from sand.

If you're using tap water - which I *think* I remember you are - your tap water could be the source of the silicates. Tap water has all sorts of things in it that doesn't harm us, but isn't the best for aquariums.

I've never really understood diatoms except that they will eventually burn themselves out if just left alone. As I'm typing this, I'm looking at a quarantine tank that has been cycled and running for 4 weeks now. About 2 weeks after the cycle was over and the fish went in, diatoms showed up. This tank uses RO/DI water, and has no substrate at all. It's just a tank with a fake plastic coral and a PVC pipe. I've done this same setup before, but this time it seems like the diatoms really really went wild. So 2 weeks ago they started up, a week ago they were super heavy, and a couple days ago they started disappearing in spots, just as quick as they appeared. If left to their own, they *will* die off - assuming they're diatoms. But from your description, it sure sounds like that's all they are.

If you're using tap water - which I *think* I remember you are - your tap water could be the source of the silicates. Tap water has all sorts of things in it that doesn't harm us, but isn't the best for aquariums.

I don't have another source to tap off the tank/do changes with; but will products like Prime not eliminate the silicates, etc? I treat the tap water with Prime every time new water goes in...

I've never really understood diatoms except that they will eventually burn themselves out if just left alone. As I'm typing this, I'm looking at a quarantine tank that has been cycled and running for 4 weeks now. About 2 weeks after the cycle was over and the fish went in, diatoms showed up. This tank uses RO/DI water, and has no substrate at all. It's just a tank with a fake plastic coral and a PVC pipe. I've done this same setup before, but this time it seems like the diatoms really really went wild. So 2 weeks ago they started up, a week ago they were super heavy, and a couple days ago they started disappearing in spots, just as quick as they appeared. If left to their own, they *will* die off - assuming they're diatoms. But from your description, it sure sounds like that's all they are.

Thanks for the possible reassurance here; I am hoping too that it's only diatoms -- they only appear on the "shipwreck" ornament, as I stated, and from what I can tell, nowhere else. I HOPE that's all this outbreak is, and not some fungal bacteria of some sort that's going to consume my goldies like a plague...right now, there are no signs of any discoloration on their scales or any issues with coloring, etc. but the outbreak of the rust colored stuff on the ship sails looks really awful and alarming...

I am praying they will "burn themselves off" as you put it, if they're diatoms. Were the symptoms in your quarrantine tank exhibiting the rust colored stains, circular in shape?

Yup... rust colored spotches that eventually turned into a rust colored mat. Strangely enough, as they started disappearing, they started disappearing in circular spots too.

Prime will not remove silicates. Only thing I know of that will remove silicates from aquarium water are some of the Phosphate removing media/sponges. Specifically, GFO (granulated ferric oxide) removes both phosphates and silicates. But my experience with that is strictly saltwater so I'm not sure if it does the same thing in freshwater.

Yup... rust colored spotches that eventually turned into a rust colored mat. Strangely enough, as they started disappearing, they started disappearing in circular spots too.

Yes, it seems as though this "outbreak" is spreading across the ornament's "ship sails" and consuming it, almost in a mat-like formation, as you describe...not quite there though; still horrendous circular patterns...

They look like burn marks, almost -- I hope this goes away by itself...

Prime will not remove silicates. Only thing I know of that will remove silicates from aquarium water are some of the Phosphate removing media/sponges. Specifically, GFO (granulated ferric oxide) removes both phosphates and silicates. But my experience with that is strictly saltwater so I'm not sure if it does the same thing in freshwater.

This growth can arise in salt and freshwater?

This rust-colored outbreak isn't dissapating off my ornament...

Is this really "diodes" or whatever they are?

You're going to have to be patient with it... It wont disappear overnight. Give it a few months at least. If it really bothers you, it is very easy to wipe off

You're going to have to be patient with it... It wont disappear overnight. Give it a few months at least. If it really bothers you, it is very easy to wipe off

Really? Months? Wow...I didn't know that...okay...

I am going to snap a picture of it tonight, along with a shot of my water quality, so y'all can see what I am talking about once and for all, and to get your input...

I'll be back with the pic...

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom