Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2022, 05:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Covering the intake with foam Tetra internal filter

I have a Tetra internal HOB filter, the bottom of the filter is about 4" across, any ideas to slip something over the top of the the filter so that small fish wouldn't get sucked in? Any thin foams or other items available? I have an Eheim canister filter, covered the intake with foam for a fluval and that was great but I'd like to cover this filter too. Thanks!

Old 02-01-2022, 09:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have coarse sponges sold by Aquarium CoOp. They fit over the intake pipe.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr3366 View Post
I have coarse sponges sold by Aquarium CoOp. They fit over the intake pipe.
I'm looking for something that fits over the bottom of the actual filter since the water is taken up from the bottom, which is about 4" across. No pipe in this case. I have a filter over my small intake pipe on my Eheim canister just like yours and it's awesome so was hoping to make something similar to cover the bottom of the Tetra filter. I may have some baby fish coming and don't want them getting sucked into the filter.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

If the true need for this foam is to keep fry out you'd likely be better off buying some coarse foam and cutting it to fit. Amazon likely has one of the larger collections.
Old 02-02-2022, 10:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I wondered about using thin filter sponge such as used with vacuums or air intake furnace filter? Would this filter have chemicals that I could just rinse off? Then maybe hand sew a filter sock that fits over the bottom of the filter? I saw a link from a 2016 post where someone said they did it this way but Id like to be sure its safe.
Old 02-02-2022, 10:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...on-310394.html
Old 02-02-2022, 11:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieFish View Post
I wondered about using thin filter sponge such as used with vacuums or air intake furnace filter? Would this filter have chemicals that I could just rinse off? Then maybe hand sew a filter sock that fits over the bottom of the filter? I saw a link from a 2016 post where someone said they did it this way but Id like to be sure its safe.
Your safest bet is to use sponge that's designed for aquariums. Hand rinse with some tank water and you're golden. Get course sponge to avoid stealing pumping force from your filter.

Tags
cover, filter, foam, intake, internal filter, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com