Cracked 55 gal tank (corner)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh808

Aquarium Advice Activist
Problem! I just noticed my 55 gal has two chips in one corner. The top one is on the corner and doesn't affect the silicone seal. The second is lower in the glass under the silicone.
Keep in mind they both look like what a bb gun does to a window, but no pin hole. The top chip looks more like the corner was hit and a 1/16th or a hair thicker piece of glass was sheared off about the size of a dime. Since the glass appears to be 1/4-1/2" thick, I don't believe I should worry too much about that one. The one down about 5" from the bottom looks pretty much the same cosmetically, but I can't feel it. I took pics with my phone and would like to email them to someone who may have more experience with this to tell me if I am safe or if I am going to have to shell out more $$ for another new tank. This ones new and I have no idea how this happened. I've had it in storage where I'm building the stand for it and have been very careful!
Would appreciate some help asap to determine if I have to fork out cash for another tank.
Thanks to anyone who reads all this and has the time to help me out. Can email pics, just need an address.
Scott
BTW-I have water in the tank rite now in my truck on flat ground atop two 2x6's and for the last hour, no leaks, but how long is long enuf to determine if its a safe tank? I live on the 44th floor and have insurance, but would rather avoid any obvious catastrophe.

Is it possible to have the cracked piece on the end replaced instead of throwing away an aquarium that was never used and just bought 1 month ago?
Any repair or glass replacement advice?

I wouldn't use it, especially on the 44th floor. I'd be worried everytime I left for work, but I'm a worrier.

If I were you I would buy a new large tank to avoid future catastrophe. Your tank might hold up for another 3 months or 3 years when full, but I would not take that chance. If your tank should leak or burst when you are away from the apartment your landlord could sue you for water damage to your apartment and the apartment below - 55 gallons is a lot of water to soak a floor. I don't like to be negative, but keep in mind the old saying "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst."

You don't have to be away. It would be worse if you're standing or sitting right in front of it when it bursts.

I have ordered a new tank 75 gal).figured if I'm gonna have to spend the extra $, might as well make it worth my while.
In the mean-time, I am looking for someone that can replace that pane of glass.
Aloha,
Scott

I was so worried to get at the last thread and find "I will use it...." Why you ask, well I will tell you! I had the same issue where a chip in the corner was gone... In summation: it broke while I was at my cabin and caused, um, a LOT of damage... It was a 55 gal tank. When super-slow fluids like glass get a chip in them it can cause a huge spot that is weak and in fact can run the length of the glass. I suppose it could have been worse, I hated that flooring.
Never never use an aquarium with a chip. Learn from me!

Back
Top Bottom