Cracked glass but not leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arnol005

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just discovered a crack in my 10 gal. aquarium. :( It is not leaking at all. Do I need to do something right away? It is a dirted aquarium with plants, so would be a big project to replace. The crack goes from the top diagonally down to the side, cutting off a corner. The crack is about 6 inches long. Should I just keep an eye on it or is it likely to give way?

Consider getting another tank because a certain shock wave would cause problems. Im no expert on glass though...

It's in a upper corner right? A 10g doesn't have a ton of pressure on it so it'd probably be fine, you could dry it out around the crack and put a thick layer of silicone over it, just to be safe. But honestly for the cost of 10g's I'd just get a new one, They are around 13 dollars at walmart brand new.

Thanks for your quick reply. I have already bought a new one but I don't want to do the work of transferring to it if I don't have to. I think I will watch it for a while. Yes, it is an upper corner.

if you can drop the water level below the crack, patch it and save yourself the anxiety. This site has great advice & thorough step by step vids on tank repair:
. I'm with you, the expense of a new tank is nothing compared to the effort and aggravation of uprooting a dirt planted tank. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom