cracked sump help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smnw10

Aquarium Advice Regular
I did something stupid, I lifted up my external pump to put something under it so dampen some of the noise without disconnecting it and I now have a crack from the bulkhead up to the top of the sump. I got the water out before a huge mess was made but now want to know if I can fix it with aquarium safe silicone?
It's a single crack, nearly straight. a 29 gallon aquarium. The bulkhead is installed on the side near the bottom so the crack is a good 12-14" long. Being a sump I don't care what it looks like. Didn't know if this is an easy fix or am I better off getting a new sump?

thanks

Is the water in that chamber of the sump all the way up to the top? If so i might consider getting a new sump because the silicone won't be as sound as the glass was. You don't want it to bow out over time or something. If the water level isn't that high then i would just dry it off and put a healthy amount of silicone over it.

with all pumps off the sump is about 80% full of water, at running level it's more like 60% full. I'll go with silicone and see how it reacts. I've read to let it set for 48 hours before adding water, is that true or can I give it 12-24 hours instead so I can get the sump running again?

thanks

you can remove the sump and get a new piece of glass from a glass shop and just replace that cracked pane. it's not that hard. a blade and a little silicone is all you will need. i would not trust a 14" cracked tank.

Back
Top Bottom