Current Orbit LED's very dissapointing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought this lights about 2 months ago for my 75 gallon tank. At first they looked good and the options are cool. But that is about as far as I go in liking them. If you have softies and LPS, you will be ok. If you have anything else, stay away from these lights! I have lost a chalice, a pocillopora, a montipora undata and now have a clam that hasn't opened for the last 3 days. I just ordered a dimmable 120w fixture from e-bay. Will be doing two of those instead of the current light. If you have SPS, this fixture will not work! On the other hand, my kenya and xenia are growing like crazy!

Chalices are lps and not very light demanding I've seen. My friend has most of his on the sand. I don't know if I'd be so fast to blame the lights here. They may be but te chalice dying is weird.

On a 75 gallon that light would be pretty weak

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's the par chart for the current orbits. My 75 gallon is 20 inches deep after substrate. As you can tell your not going to be able to keep anything but mushrooms on the sand bed. I'm curious as to the placement of your coral though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was going to go into a lengthly review of these lights on my thread. :)

I would have to agree with the OP. It is in fact the lights. I have the 36-48 inch foxture over my 40b, I specifically got the extra long one so that i would have coverage from side to side with no fading. It is a great light as far as mushrooms and leather, zooas too. My duncan likes it as well. I will post a video in a few hours hopefully on my thread showing placement with comments about their performance or lack thereof. lol

You really cant beat the niftiness of the light, it is awesome and gives of a really colorful shine, I get shimmer too and the features are there too. BUT it will only do well over a shallow tank with LPS and particular ones at that. A 75g is waaaay too tall for these lights to penetrate. My LFS uses a dual unit of them though and grows SPS under em, BUT his coral tanks a re like 8 inches tall. lol

SOmeone remind me to post on my thread all the details if I forget. I have been so uber busy I havent had a chance to post. :)

Back
Top Bottom