Current Satellite LED Plus good for planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SoveriegnR

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just like the title says, I've been trying to find a decent fixture for my future 20g long tank and came across the Current Satellite LED Plus on one of the sites I frequent for my reptiles.

"Super bright 6500K White LEDs are paired with full-spectrum RGB LEDs to offer every color under the sun (and a few that aren't)..." is the description. 6500k and full-spectrum I've always been told are the ideal plant growing duo.

I've read that LEDs aren't good though for aquarium? Not sure why though as the places I saw it on gave no legit reasoning behind it. Water density? But Current advertises aquariums with their fixtures sooooo?

Will this be a good purchase?

I tried dual T5s in the past for my old 20g long and the plants didn't really do too well. Not sure if it was due to the light or tank, as I had to rehome the fish and sell the tank shortly after aquiring it due to a move. I prefer low-tech setups, as I don't want to mess around with CO2 injections so I'll be trying to find plants that will do well without it.

I haven't worked with Current lights, so I can't say if this would be a good choice, though I note it has 85% 4 and 5-star reviews on Amazon. As for LEDs in general, they're fine for aquariums, but a lot depends on how much Photosynthetically Active Radiation ("PAR", roughly "light the plant can use" ) reaches the depth the plant is at. I found this answer in the questions section for the light's Amazon page in answer to a person asking if this light was good for plants:

Yes, the caveat being how deep your tank is. For example, here are PAR readings from the manufacturer:
12" 36
18" 28
24" 21
My standard 55 is about 20 inches (but actually 18 inches due to substrate), and I estimate approximately 28 PAR based on this info, which means I'm slightly below 30 PAR (considered low light). I'm having no issues with plants ranging from amazon swords, crypts, mosses, ludwigia, rotala, etc. If your tank is 16 inches or so, you may have enough light for most plant provided you aren't trying grow a foreground carpet. at 12 inches, you could probably grow anything.

I'd question whether one could grow carpeting plants with only 36 PAR, but the general observation seems right: this light is best for low-light plants, which will still give you a beautiful tank.

Hope this helps!

Current satellite would be fine on a.20l. You may not be able to grow high demand foreground/carpet plants but the light will grow plants.
b3afb45f26264c3bc2d624b33950a434.jpg

20170729_085808.jpg

Here's a quick shot of my 20 long with the Current Satellite LED+.

I did have a dwarf baby tears carpet until the spouse vacuumed it during a water change.

20170729_090215.jpg
20170729_090224.jpg

I've been very happy.

I've had to remove boatloads of AR mini and sagittaria sublata. I should remove some moneywort, but I love how the leaves turn pink near the surface. The buce, anubias, swords, microsword, moss, and crypts are great.

I do go pretty heavy with CO2, which seems to make a big difference.

Whoever said LEDs are no good for planted tanks is not up on current technology. Or Finnex.

My only disappointment is that, because of the light being four channel, any timer can only do on or off. It can't ramp. But that's it.

very pretty tanks! :O

thank you for the feedback guys!

also, upon watching some review vids on youtube I ran across this light:
https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Plant...27&sr=8-1&keywords=Finnex+Planted+Plus+++24/7

the guy reviewing it had a PAR reader that was reading about 60 PAR at the bottom of a 20g tall. Thoughts? Its the same price as the other light fixture that i was going to get from my reptile site but puts out more par.

What about the Finnex Planted Plus + 24/7?
I just watched a review of it about the PAR and the guy was getting about 60PAR at the bottom of a 20g tall?

It's the same price as the Current fixture from my reptile site and it's putting out double the PAR at the same depth? Sounds like a better alternative right?

What about the Finnex Planted Plus + 24/7?
I just watched a review of it about the PAR and the guy was getting about 60PAR at the bottom of a 20g tall?

It's the same price as the Current fixture from my reptile site and it's putting out double the PAR at the same depth? Sounds like a better alternative right?

I use the older Planted+ (not the 24/7) and, from what I've read, I should be getting ~60 PAR at the substrate level in my 20-long. I do like the light, but be aware that a) it has an annoyingly short cord, and b) it has an annoyingly short warranty (six months).

I use the older Planted+ (not the 24/7) and, from what I've read, I should be getting ~60 PAR at the substrate level in my 20-long. I do like the light, but be aware that a) it has an annoyingly short cord, and b) it has an annoyingly short warranty (six months).

So best to hope you don't end up with a short-lived dud? I have a million and one extension chords and command strips coming out my bum, short chords aren't too bad :3

I have the plus and the plus pro, both work great, on a 20l id definitely go with the plus, the plus pro will be considered high light.

Back
Top Bottom